Micro machine for Ubuntu for RGS / HP Remote Boost Reciever?

Anybody have a reccomendation for a small machine that would work great as an RGS Receiver? I’ve tired dual booting a Mac mini but apparently there is a Linux driver issue for the onboard nvme ssd which means the drive needs to be run on an external disk.

Or, what’s your favorite way to have pen pressure on RGS?

Lenovo P330/340 Tiny. Same size as MacMini, with a Quadro card to get accelerated decode and support for up to 4 monitors. Ubuntu OS.

I’ve been meaning to do a walk through of what I call the Instinctual Connect system. This comprises:

StationConnect: highly customized Ubuntu for RGS receiver experience
ArtistConnect: Secure remote environment for internal communications (chat/email/shotgun) in additional to Pandora and Apple Music
PanelConnect: secure connectivity for remote Resolve / Lustre grading panels
ColorConnect: secure remote color accurate with 7.1 surround sound broadcast monitoring
DeckConnect: secure remote StreamDeck to control SDI router / ArtistConnect encoder / Flame&Resolve hotkeys

6 Likes

Thanks for this Alan. Do the specs really matter? Is the 64gb RAM version helpful?

all of ours have 16GB and that is more than enough.

2 Likes

We use these little Intel NUCs. Not as powerful as Alan’s route and missing the nvidia decoding but it runs RGS well and can handle a H264 stream from ultragrid at the same time feeding a broadcast monitor. Also on Ubuntu. That unit with ram and storage comes in around €500.

The one thing I noticed is that you might need to play around with the wacom values when you remote in to adjust the area and pressure sensitivity. For a 1920x1200 monitor the following works well:

xsetwacom --set "Remote Boost Wacom Tablet stylus" Area 0 0 59152 33448
xsetwacom --set "Remote Boost Wacom Tablet stylus" PressureCurve 0 10 75 100
1 Like

I would love to host that walkthrough and provide the necessary sound effects :grinning:

2 Likes

So @ALan, perhaps I borked the install, but how’s the interactivity with your Ubuntu install on your Lenovos? I picked up a Tiny 340 and clicking and dragging an icon around is painfully slow, borderline unusable. I also had a trouble after install and required a reinstall of lightdm…is that the wrong graphical interface to be using?

We use Ubuntu Desktop and choose Minimal Desktop install. Does your Tiny have a Quadro card? Might be best to email or chat outside of here.

Also, the settings in HP ZCentral Receiver make a big difference.

yeah, Quadro 1000, 64gigs ram…I think I installed the full OS version…it feels like I installed a heavy OS on it…let me try a minimal install.

and we don’t use LightDM, just whatever Ubuntu Desktop installs, which I believe is Gnome. Also make sure you have the Nvidia drivers installed, which happens automatically if you choose the “install 3rd party drivers” option on install.

2 Likes

thanks. after install I got a blank screen with a flashing cursor, found some bad inter web advice and installed lightdm. that’s enough to keep me busy for tonight. might ping you over the weekend or next week for another detail or two, but, hopefully this gives me enough to sort through. THANK YOU!

1 Like

What a humbling day. I have a long history of destroying computers trying to set them up dual boot. I think I’m like 0 for 17. Turns out it actually matters what port you plug your monitor into. I had an HDMI cable handy and had that plugged into what I thought was the Nvidia card but turned out to be crappy onboard graphics. After spending the better part of my day fecking with Nvidia drivers and then Secure Boot appearing to cause problems it dawned on me that I couldn’t get into the Bios to feck with the boot priorities to boot from a USB to reinstall the damn OS. Only after coming across an unrelated post about make sure to use the mini display port because if you don’t the graphics only work after the OS loads, not on boot, did the solution present itself.

A truly humbling experience.

I use the Intel nuc. I also use the exact same keyboard and tablet that I have at Lost Planet.

Turn off Secure Boot. It just makes things a hassle. Then everything install super easy, and its nearly plug and play.

I found that you need gnome of some sort to get all the key combinations working, in particular alt-hover to get clip info. In the end I settled on gnome-flashback as it’s fairly lightweight. Turning on advanced compression on the sender also improves the lag and overall image, at least for me.

Okay, so I think I’ve got everything working. I was rushing to figure this out during a previous booking but that just ended so I no longer have access to an Sender. But, as long as I have the working RGS Receiver and within the Ubuntu / Settings / Wacom / Test and I have pen pressure sensitivity at my local receiver, then I should be good, right? All of the other (mostly relevant) settings will be on the Sender side, correct?