I9 13900k on Flame

Do we already have support for Flame in the new Generation of processors?

is there anyone that tried this?

Considering to do this today i have a 13900K and a 4090 system ready to go, should absolutely SLAY flame.

3 Likes

Nope! but curious to see how Flame/Rocky performs scheduling tasks for the P and E cores. Let us know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly… RockyLinux 8.7, which is the most current version of 8, still has an old kernel, which might not have optimal support for split P/E cores. It is possible Red Hat has backported some support for them, but I don’t know.

Even RHEL/RockyLinux 9 has a relatively old kernel that lacks support for some enhanced functions of the newer Intel CPUs that we use for our streaming solutions.

But if you have the hardware already, won’t hurt to try and maybe its fine.

But the big question is, why? If you are using said CPU, then that really sounds like consumer “gaming rig” hardware. If this is a machine you are going to make money from, just spend a little more and get a proper Dell ThreadRipper workstation. They are so solidly built they will last you many years, and the ThreadRippers are wonderfully fast.

2 Likes

Its more for the fun of it, its a nuke workstation with a 4090 might as well see what those new chips can do in flame. Wouldnt buy a machine like that as a flame machine .

the 13900K has the best single core performance of all chips out there, ive had great results with a ryzen 5950x.

The 13900K in cinebench is almost the same speed as the 32 core threadripper in multicore as well :smiley:

We recently got a few 5975WX with A5500 GPUs.
We also have several 5995WX w/A6000 GPU.

Running the 5995WX with SMT off yields a 20% improvement in our Batch renders over 5995WX with SMT on.
The 5975WX wA5500 is only slightly slower than 5995WX SMT off.

So for about half the price, you can get basically the same performance.

3 Likes

I have one of the 12900k ones. Last time I checked Adsk Rocky 8.5 kernel didn’t support the performance cores. Read it was more of a 5.15+ Kernel thing. I may be wrong. I did the Flame benchmark thingy and posted the results in the spreadsheet… was pretty good at the time.

1 Like

How did it go with the 4090? Any issues?

havent tried yet…

4090 is so large, I can only fit 1 more pciE card, so i can have either a bm card OR a framestore , 4090 is 4 slots, its ridicolous I would need to watercool the 4090 to fit both …

1 Like

Yeah I was wondering about that. Pretty much every thing I read about the 4090 starts with “so I got it working after I removed the fan…”

1 Like

i have a second machine with a mainboard that leaves enough space to fit 2 cards and a 4090…

But that one doesnt have 10Gbit build in so, no deal :rofl: I an still going to try it with a single nvme framestore just for giggles at some point but so far I am pretty happy with my 5th gen ryzen/ 3090 system, runs circles around the mac pro :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

honestly my laptop with a Ryzen 9 5900HX and a 3070 does a fairly good job compared to some macs I got to use. So your set up should be quite comfortable.

I am currently a 13900KF+RTX 4090+128GB assembled PC user.
I am using the Z690 DDR4 motherboard and building Rocky Linux 8.5.

• (Recently, a motherboard using the improved W680 chip was also released)
    Autodesk Storage connects 4TB (pcie4.0) x 3 in Raid 0, enabling uncompressed 8K and real-time work at a speed of 20GB/s.
    Approximate cost was approximately $4.500 total.
    Desktop products from Intel or AMD can also be built for Flame.
    Price-performance ratio is the best
    If you configure it with AMD 7950X (7950X3D is not recommended), it seems to be faster in rendering than 13900K.
    Since I also had to use Adobe products, I chose Intel products with faster single core performance.
    Compared to the widely used P620 (AMD 5975wx), it is almost the same, but the single core performance is very high, so the working environment is more comfortable.
    I personally recommend it if you have basic hardware maintenance skills.
1 Like

Interesting setup! May I ask what motherboard you are using? Also how fast is your RAM? I have heard that having more than 64 gigs causes stability issues, but that might only be for DDR5 setups.

I don’t think that’s universally true. I have a similar system, but with a prior generation i9:

Asus ProArt Z690 Creator (with 10GbE)
i9 12900KS 3.4GHz
4x DDR5-4800 for 128GB
NVidia A5000
Samsung EVO M.2 SSD

Built by Puget Systems. This is my main Linux/Flame system has been rock solid for the last year. Running on Rock 8.7, Flame 2024.

I also added a DeckLink Extreme 12G and am running some external NVMe via TB connection.

They now offer the same system with the 13900K CPU, and the newer 790 version of the mother board. Configured with 128GB DDR5-5600 and a 4090 comes to $5,600: Configure a Core Z790 ATX Workstation | Puget Systems

Hey @allklier I actually have that config from Puget, the new ProArt Z790, and am having a lot of problems getting any of the ADSK kernels to install on it… both the 8.7 and the 9.3 stop at various stages of the install. Ubuntu installs… and off-the-shelf Rocky 9.4 if i just do the barebones install, but not if i try to add extra packages.

(BTW, this is stripped down to the motherboard on-board graphics, because it previously had an Nvidia 4090 in it and it wouldn’t install anything at all.) Did you have any of these kinds of problems with your install of Rocky on the 690? Also, do you know, does the autodesk iso HAVE to have on of their reco Nvidia cards in there in order to install, will it just not install at all with just the onboard graphics?

@mikeroy Hmm, that system has been rock solid for me. The only issue I always have is the NVidia driver. In the early days for Flame 2023 and 2024 I installed it w/o NVidia and then compiled the driver from sources.

For 2025 I installed it with the DKU but had to stay on 8.7. 9.3 didn’t work reliably, and stopped in various places. It would always hang right when the video driver would switch modes.

No other driver problems, and solid since I installed 2025/8.7… I do use an A5000 though.

No, you can install rocky without the need of an nvidia graphics card. I can’t say specifically with a Z790, though

Its a good idea make a note of any of the console output if its failing to install. The only times ive had problems installing flame was 4-5 years ago when i needed to set an extra kernel parameter in the grub which I found out by googling the tty output.

thanks @allklier @friendlyape good to know. I was able to get stock off-the-shelf Rocky 9.3 installed, without the 4090 installed for now… and also able to get the Nvidia drivers pre-installed without issue. So now i was looking into upgrading the DKU… wondering if this will even work since i’m on the stock Rocky and not the Autodesk ISO (which would never install, even w/out the 4090 in it.) Or… should i install the DKU after i get the 4090 put pack in it…?

What additional packages i may need to install to bring my Rocky in line with the Autodesk one? or is it just settings-related? and if i install the current DKU, (if it will even install) will it magically be the same as if i had used the ADSK Rocky ISO initially?

my configuration is much simpler, x99 kit from china with xeon e5-2680v4, ddr4 128gb, nvidia a500 and external storage, for my advertising and entertainment jobs I find the machine very solid with no slowdowns

2 Likes