Importing BRAW?

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this problem.

I have rushes shot on BMPCC4k using Blackmagic Raw. It includes lots of greenscreen so i want to convert in Resolve into the most appropriate format for use in Flame, but i am unsure the best way to do this.

I would rather not grade it before importing, and i want to retain all the data thats in the BRAW. What is the best way to convert this material in Resolve so i can bring it into Flame?

In the past i converted it to prores4444 rec 709, but i get the feeling thats not giving me all i need to properly work with greenscreen.

apologies if this is vague - i’m not the most savvy when it comes to formats and colour spaces!
thanks
adam

1 Like

Best way would be to convert them to something Flame can tag correctly color space wise, like Alexa Wide Gamut/Alexa LogC. Its pretty easy to do. Set your project color management mode to Davinci YRGB Color Managed, input colorspace - anything you like (it doesnt matter with raw material), working color space - Alexa Wide Gamut/Alexa LogC, output colorspace - Alexa Wide Gamut/Alexa LogC. Render everything to ProRES 4444 and tag in Flame like Alexa sources.

2 Likes

thanks Val, i’ll give that a go!!

1 Like

If you’re going to be do keying/comping with this footage, then I think you might have a better time working with linear footage. You could bring in your footage as log and convert to Aces CG or some other kind of linear workflow but my (barely) educated guess is that you’ll retain more image info if you convert from the raw straight to linear and bring those into Flame.

1 Like

Practicaly log vs lin will not give you any difference when it comes to debayered camera sources. Going to log will give little bit less stress to your storage, network etc.

1 Like

hi Val,

is it normal for the material to look like artwork from a graphic novel?
I followed your settings, but the result i am gettig both in DaVinci and then when i try import the renders into flame look like very low bit rate images and i can’t seem to recover any useful image data.

1 Like

No, something went wrong

Can you post your Resolve Color Management settings screenshot?

If you set Output Color Space in Resolve to something like rec709 do you see something which looks correct?

1 Like

thanks val - i’ll send those screengrabs as soon as i get a chance. The minute i have a bit of time to look at DaVinci, someone else rushes in with more work that needs doing!

1 Like

these two screengrabs show the settings and results when bringing in images shot on BMPCC4k using BRAW, converting in DaVinci.

When exporting these files, the exact same image is what gets imported into Flame.
Changing ther output colourspace gives a very highly saturated image which is not correct.

1 Like

Something definitely wrong on your side

Can you show screenshot of camera raw settings for braw?

1 Like

soon - busy rendering out some tests.

I do know its set to Blackmagic Raw, Full Res, Camera Metadata

nothing else is selected

1 Like

just had a thought - is Arri LogC/Alexa something i need to install separately? Having never used any Arri footage its nto a format i am familiar with.

1 Like

No, nothing need to install separately. Only Resolve (even free version will work). One thing to consider - do you use last version available (16.2.6 at this moment)?

2 Likes

maybe thats the issue! I’ll download the update

If your sources from new BMD 12K camera you should be on 16.3 beta.

1 Like

no - its the BMPCC4k

1 Like

think i might have solved it…will know for sure tomorrow when im back in the office, but it dawned on me whilst driving home to check the camera settings. I have a feeling that the option to apply the lut in camera might have been switched on.
Just tried opening the one file i have on the laptop, and by disabling that option, it seems to be working as it should.

thanks for helping out Val…much appreciated

1 Like

you welcome

2 Likes