Looking for a solid Timewarp workflow

Sure. But you most likely get more mileage out of copying your source plate into your batch setup adding a timewarp node in “timing” mode and referencing that value. So for the timewarp called plateTimewarp and a 3D tracked camera, cameraTracked in an action called actionTracked

eval(actionTracked.cameraTracked, plateTimewarp.timing)

You can then plug in the timewarped plate from plateTimewarp into the back of the action with your new timewarped 3D tracked camera and you’ll see them line up.

I’ll try that as an alternative. @cnoellert
I just get error An expression exists on a parent or a child.
when I use eval (nonTW_cam, timewarp_axis.position.x)

Duplicated it out from the analyzer and bake it down.

1 Like

Yeah. I got it working. Thanks @cnoellert and @hBomb42 and @philm

After getting An expression exists on a parent or a child. error over and over again I started a new action and my eval expression was getting its values from another action with the trackCam and the TW values from the Timewarp.timing.

I was even able to TW the alembic proxy geometry animation using this technique. I’ll export the FBX camera for 3D but do you know if it would be possible to sent the geometry back out?

Just learned the word Pleonasm… good one

1 Like

@zorrofx

Pleonastic practitioners might congratulate you for “learning with your own mind”, “seeing with your own eyes” or “hearing with your own ears”.

They’re just overcomplicating the complicated…

Remember to be wary of your “Fellow colleagues” who are not “Over-exaggerating” when they tell you the “Honest truth” & “Warn you in advance” of the “Serious crisis” concerning the “Future plans” of this project.

Producers, can’t live with ‘em, where’s the ketchup?

:joy::rofl:

1 Like

@PlaceYourBetts
re: exporting geometry
Yes in a limited way.
Remember that geometry is either written into your action explicitly or it is referenced and read on a per frame basis.
What does that gibberish mean?
Well it can be animated geometry such as rotating cuboid where the geometry is read once, converted to an action object (making your action files much bigger on disk and the cause of cache overloading and system disk fill ups), and the animation for the cube is transferred to an axis.
It could also be that you import deformed geometry on a per frame basis by reading it frame to frame.
I don’t think we ever got to the stage where a deformation rig from maya or 3ds could be translated from that dcc software to the deformation node in flame - probably not.
Anyway, animated geometries like obj, FBX or alembic by which I mean that the polygons are deformed, transformed or whatever cannot be exported from flame with great fidelity since it is hard to govern the file naming of an animated geometry.
Maya and 3ds will output a folder full of individual files called foo.001, foo.002,etc. and I can’t remember if flame handles that correctly - it never used to, I doubt if anyone else has ever asked for it, it probably doesn’t.
What you CAN do is export your timewarp axis.
You can also export your tracked cam and your tw cam.
And your 3d artists will love you for not sending stupid amounts of geo back and forth and clogging up the network or the internet bandwidth with junk.
But do try exporting stuff.
Better to learn for yourself than to listen to old redundant farts on the inter webs.

1 Like

Woah, you exceeded my capacity to even grasp all these clichés. Always hated the epxression “over exaggerate” anyway. These things are so common, we don’t realize how unnecessary they are :joy:

Liars, my brother.
They’re everywhere.
Filling up the void with meaninglessness.
Always trying to overload your brain with nonsense while they empty your pockets.
Speak sparingly, walk softly & carry big sticks.

As an aside, a cliché is the word used by French typographers who set type by hand.
These guys were called compositors.
The word denotes the sound made when frequently occurring words constructed of monotype characters were set on a stick, before the composition was used for printing.

As another aside, I know this message is long and I should cut to the chase - well cutting to the chase is what compositors did when they composed movable type for printing with the Linotype method.
The chase is a rectangular metal frame and if a line of words was too long it was cut to fit the chase in order to meet the printing deadline.

And scene…

2 Likes

Interesting. Verbose but very interesting :wink:

The alembic animations are certainly stealing a considerable about of storage. I shall kill them before it gets out of hand and just export the time channel of my TW.

The 3D team seem to struggle with my result time and are asking for global time!? We’ll come back together and have another crack on Monday.

At least I have solved the camera track side of the problem.

Tell the 3d team it’s all their fault anyway, stop being lazy, work it out, write some code or something - you know, something helpful to shock their whiny asses into living in the present.
Or really freak them out and ask if they want timecode, drop-frame or non drop frame or for everything to start on frame 1001…
Tell them they have to get that information from the offline editor…
Special times…
Novel too.

1 Like

@Quinn
I once dropped a tray of type at art school.
I was mortified - I thought I’d have to sort it.
It was a revelation when my printing tutor demonstrated the magic of melting it all down and recasting it, and watching the machine sort everything into the little compartments.
Best version 2 I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

@philm you are in a very good mood (I presume). End of the week craziness?

@PlaceYourBetts
Nobody has Covid, nobody is sick, I aced my exams, got extra credit, there was gin in the house that didn’t require going to the store, the sun shone, the breezes were gentle, the kids told great jokes, the dog didn’t have a crazy old dog barking fit, wife lady made great cake, none of my machines crashed today, the internet bill didn’t go through the roof, my phone battery lasted all day, my bike has a full tank of gas, it’s Chinese New Year, the decades old timewarp conversation is back on the menu as if it’s a new thing…

You either laugh or you cry right?

2 Likes