Mac studio. Bloody hell. Amazing

Real world speed test on a job I recently finished.

90 second spot, multilayer timeline with about 15 bfx,matte containers, text, image etc…

Full spec Imacpro render of all segments took 8:15
Mac Studio Ultra 3:58

7 Likes

Here’s another real world test.

ACES project in Batch (see crazy batch tree)

140 frames
2 source layers of 16bit UHD
about 20 layers of 2k 16bit

34min 38seconds on iMacPro

9min 20 seconds on Mac Studio Ultra

Where can I find the benchmark render test

6 Likes

It’s the support apps. Bounce to photoshop, illlustrator, premiere/avid/ resolve.
It’s the thousands of small support apps that make life in a mac world so much simple, the extended world of plug-ins and the fact that in a work from home world it’s a pain in the ass having more than one computer on your desk.

Impressive looking schematic my friend.

How are you getting on with this ACES project?

Not sure if that shows how amazing the Mac studio is or just how shit the iMac pro was :slight_smile:

Long time reader fist time poster…

I haven’t been a FLAME op since 2006, I just edit these days. However I run a post house with 2 FLAME artists. I just got a Mac Studio Ultra but didn’t upgrade the GPU. So max CPU and RAM but just 48 GPU cores instead of 64. Deets below.

Model Name: Mac Studio
Model Identifier: Mac13,2
Chip: Apple M1 Ultra
Total Number of Cores: 20 (16 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 128 GB
GPU Total Number of Core: 48

I thought people might be interested to see how it compares to a maxed out machine.

My times are;
16:50 for the all tracks render. (Vs 14:09 for Jonhollis’s maxed out machine)
08:03 for just the top track. (Vs 06:58 for Jonhollis’s maxed out machine)

5 Likes

@PlaceYourBetts

Yeah going well with the ACES workflow now after learning that tracking and keying suck with it and to convert to a log or even rec709 for those things.

2 Likes

Model Name: Mac Studio
Model Identifier: Mac13,2
Chip: Apple M1 Ultra
Total Number of Cores: 20 (16 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 128 GB
GPU Total Number of Core: 64

My times are;
14:02 for the all tracks render.
07:12 for just the top track.

4 Likes

Hey Jon,
I’m also considering investing in the mac studio. Are you satisfied with it? Can I ask which model is it? GPU48 or 64? Is it worth going for the 128go?

1 Like

Hi there. Yes I can recommend it. I’m using it all the time. Sits on the desk nicely. No noise or heat. Really fast and snappy interface. Easily running two XDR screens at the moment. Tons of good ports. I would spec it up so you get the extra thunderbolt ports on the front. Someone just posted some comparisons and it’s pretty good without going full spec. Seriously can’t wait for it to run native and support metal. Things are looking up for us that use multiple programs on one machine. I use a lot of davinci resolve and it’s much faster than flame and I think that’s native. So all looking good for the future.

4 Likes

Not all keying sucks in linear. Let’s find a sec when we can get together on Discord and I can show off the IBK keyer approach :+1:

5 Likes

http://hrtapps.com/blogs/20220427/

4 Likes

So from experience (from actual Mac Studio users) what would be a good config? 48 or 64 GPU cores? 128 GB of Ram?

1 Like

impossible to answer that one unless you’ve bought two with different specs!

1 Like

We finally got our MacStudioUltra with 48 cores and 64GB RAM and it works with Flame beautifully and is a real step-up from our previous MacPro 2013 dustbin. Got it interfaced with our Blackmagic 4k Ultra output without any issues at all and didn’t need patch anything so it looks like Blackmagic have updated their driver. The only problem is that I can’t, at the moment, get our Pegasus R6 thunderbolt RAID working but I didn’t have administrative privileges to install a file I found that apparently helps from Pegasus website.

My MacBookPro M1Max was around 3 times faster than the MacPro and I think this is around 7 times faster. I was showing someone some stuff and had two parallel Batch contexts playing in windows and it was playing back really smoothly in a way that the MacPro was much more stutter at. Stuttery-buttery…

Cheers
Tony

PS Now downloaded a fix for the PegasusR6 from the Promise website and it works fine on the new MacStudioUltra. Remarkably seamless transition from the trashcan to the new M1Ultra in terms of fitting it into existing infrastructure.

8 Likes

For those with the Mac Studio - are you running a broadcast monitor? how did you set it up?

BMD UltraStudio 4K Mini Pro via TB. Works out of the box

AJA T-Tap Pro. Had to allow something in the security settings on restart in recovery mode.

Except that it is not supported by resolve, it works great.

1 Like

What he said! works great for my Mac Studio.

3 Likes

and it also doubles up as a room heater!

couldn’t believe how hot mine gets.

1 Like