Mistika impressions

Jaleo was pretty cool for its time. It was sort of like an After Effects style layer-based compositor for SGI.

FWIW - Mistika is still used by some heavy hitters at Park Road Post and Mistika VR is pretty much the best 360 stitching software available.

2 Likes

Mistika Boutique gets used regularly to color grade VR content, which is a niche for which there is consistent demand.

There are also decent number of colorists who have made it their primary platform for their studios. If it fits within your workflow and you figured out your swim lane itā€™s still a good choice.

1 Like

Funny(ish). Mistika may have a smaller footprint than Flame, but given that SGO has room to concentrate on its single product stable, it seems to deliver more marketing care than Autodesk seems to on Flame. I kind of scroll past these, but every week or so I get an email demonstrating what Mistika is being used for and a bit of blurb and helpful information.

Better being a big fish in a small pond in terms of marketing rather than a small fish (Flame and fish, kind of go together you might know?!) in a big pond?

Cheers
Tony

2 Likes

Alrighty, Iā€™ll have my say as Iā€™m daily driving a Mistika Ultima system.

SGO is not a company known to many like Filmlight, BlackMagic, Digital Vision (or whatever it is called today or tomorrow), Autodesk etc are. Theyā€™re trying to, but not trying too hard. In times of free software, they have ported their flagship linux Mistika Ultima to Windows and OSX, called it Boutique and made it more accessible price-wise. It has caught on pretty good but I think not in a way they had imagined. Most likely because of the much heard argument of the UI being complicated. Itā€™s really not and when used to it, offers quite unparalleled speed and versatility. And letā€™s be fair, the Baselight and Scratch UIā€™s are somewhat atrocious tooā€¦(Flame anyone?). Secretly, we like that donā€™t we?

Actually, the greatest strength to me personally is the accessibility of the developer team, marketing people and even higher up in the chain. These guys truly listen to what their users are in need of. Yes, a small team might take more time to get stuff out, but at least 99% of my requests have been taken serious, many implemented at some point. Itā€™s awesome.

Youā€™re right @RossShain that a couple of large well known post houses like Park Road use it on a daily base. Not many know theyā€™re actually quite huge in Asia. Selling tons of turn-key realtime 8k systems to Korea etc. Exactly the strength of Mistika; its realtime performance. I have not come across a better performing system yet. SGO is also well known for their custom implementation of their technology. The implementation of their Workflows product for instance at SKY in the UK. Absolutely worth taking a look at.

Alsoā€¦ I just LOVE having to answer my client ā€œSorry, I cannot send you my Resolve projectā€ :sunglasses:

Pfff I donā€™t have a clue why I wrote all of the above. I like Mistika, I like Flame, I like weird.

3 Likes

Well said. Itā€™s a great niche solution with its dedicated following in the industry. Their team is very accessible and listening well, and does find solutions, sometimes even custom builds.

True, the UI isnā€™t any more odd than Flame, Scratch, or many others in the industry. Like many of these UIs (Flame included) it relies heavy on unconventional (by broad terms) elements and structures to cram hundreds of features into very limited real estate. Very few menus, buttons that drag instead of click, etc. Thatā€™s is no problem if you drive it every day and have muscle memory. It makes it harder if you work across a broader portfolio and are in the app only every so often. I had to take to keeping a notebook to keep track of all the keyboard shortcuts of various apps, and certain workflows. Impossible to keep in the front of the brain at all times, which is of course also a speed killer. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve been paring back my app list. Otherwise I would have totally kept Mistika around as an option.

2 Likes

True, myself coming from years of Quantel Henry work, I had lots of objections to Flameā€™s UI, with its confusingly overlapping modules and tiny buttons. It definitely took a good while for me to adapt. An acquired taste, no doubt.

Saturation and contrast by band is something Iā€™d LOVE to exist in the Image node. Iā€™ve used it tons in the old Color Correct node & really wished it had came across when they wrote Imageā€¦

1 Like

Yeah I love that feature in CC too. I did ask for it when they were developing image.

1 Like

It is actually incredible that SGO keeps producing these incredible productsā€¦ I would say they were (and are?) the best positioned to build Nuke killer, but somehow they didnā€™t consolidate the efforts on the package they built (forgot the name, sorry)

Anyway, everytime I saw an SGO system I was very impressed with the timeline novel concepts and the colorā€¦ too bad I am not a compositor. :slight_smile:

SGO VFX software was called Mamba. It looked promising back in the day but didn`t mature.

It kind of exists in Mistika these days. You can see a node tree representation of your stack on the timeline and can edit in either view. There is a Comp3D node and a few other elements.

But as Val pointed out, itā€™s not mature enough for anything beyond some basic work. Certainly couldnā€™t take on Nuke by a mile, no offense.