Motion warp track with motion blur

What’s the trick with getting a motion blur to work with a motion warped track. It’s all over the place, totally unusable.

1 Like

Not sure it qualifies as a “trick” but my workaround is sending a fill/matte out of action for my tracked layer(s), feeding motion analysis/motion blur nodes, and then re-comping the result of that. It’s not fast or efficient, but it does seem to work.

1 Like

Yup, Motion Blur node downstream. There should be no need for additional motion analysis, as you have the motion vectors already. Either use the motion vectors you’re feeding the Action node, or if you do the analysis within Action, activate the Render Pass/Motion Vector button and the respective Action Render pass…

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I had to do this: But have you tried Stingray motion blur parented by your camera in action? Just make sure that motion vectors is clicked on for you motion vector map, if I remember correctly

3 Likes

I will try this. Should just work though shouldn’t it. Turn on motion blur in action and bingo. But no.

A smarter person than me could explain why action’s accumulation buffer treats things like axes and surfaces that are moving through its space differently than motion vectors, but alas. All I can say is that motion vectors don’t generate the flavor of xyz translation that action is looking for when it makes things motion blurry.

@BrittCiampa ‘s stingray idea is interesting, I’ll have to give that a try at some point, though I sense that the stingray tech may have been abandoned by autodesk and I’m nervous about becoming attached to it.

This is what I’ve always done. Note that the sliders have different scales, so you’ll have to crank it up if you want to match your usual .5 shutter.

2 Likes