Planar tracker “gimbal lock”

I’m tracking something that’s rotating 270 degrees in Z. The planar tracker gets what appears to be a rock solid track, but when the z rot hits 90, it goes negative and the x and y scale go negative. It appears smooth visually until I enable motion blur, at which point it goes nuts. Tracking with “perspective” enabled doesn’t fix it. Hand-editing the animation channels fixes it, but seems lame. Any ideas? Is this a known issue?

Hmm, I haven’t seen that - but if you have Mocha Pro that’s my first try if planar acts weird.

I’ve seen that behavior quite often recently. You use the Gmask Tracer to do a plainer track that looks great, only to have the result go wonky because the scales go negative for a few frames. I haven’t found a workaround for it either, but I do what @GPM does and reach for Mocha if Flame doesn’t work.

Sorry I can’t be more help.
Michael

I often want a “let’s be reasonable” button for things like this.

“Do you think the image flipped 360.2 degrees in a single frame? Let’s be reasonable”

“Do you think that clearly visible tracking point decided to make hard left turn? Let’s be reasonable.”

6 Likes