Prism Pipeline - Animation and VFX Pipeline

Anyone used this before? Looks very intriguing, but of course no Flame support. Desperate for any alternative to ShotGrid.

1 Like

I have. Is cool, but there are some caveats

• Versions previous to 1.x are rigid with a hardcoded configuration/folder structure.
  • V 2.0 (Beta) doesn’t support Linux nor OSX.
  • I believe projects are configured locally, no central database.
  • No Flame plugin

If you are looking for a better open source alternative for asset tracking you could look into Ayon / OpenPype. It has a central database you can install on a server. Its supports Kitsu, also open source, for simple project tracking, but not SG/Ftrack level. They are both a bit involved in terms of setup, but both companies offer paid support.

We’re actually actively talking to the ayon guys at the moment, plugs into ftrack as well.

1 Like

Would be great to hear how you get on with this… how’s it going?

I have used it a couple of times. I also know the developer since we worked together at Scanline for a while. He has his roots in 3D, and so has Prism. They did quite a lot of work to get the USD support working and it is great for getting smaller studios up and running with these 3D tasks. Actually we finished a job recently using its capabilities to manage USD in Houdini.
For the comp side it has a good Nuke workflow, but there are some things that are hard coded into the pipeline which did not turn out to be working on our side. So we are also looking more towards OpenPipe right now, as they seem a lot more flexible.

1 Like

I tried this for one of my projects, searching including real time vfx software, but personally, it didn’t work for me at all. Although the undoubted plus is that it supports several tools at once…

i can only agree on this

I don’t remember…have you tried NIM?

Yeah. Just doesn’t work for our particular use case. But Andrew is a great dude. Lots of respect for him.

1 Like

Isn’t Prism Windows only anyway?

Just noticed this!
From our friend @talosh

@talosh I know is a very early version, but wondering what kind of functionality is implemented.

We at Rohtau went for NIM and it is truly awesome… faster, all under our control (no remote anything), easy to configure and operate… does bidding, finances, timecards, calendars, scheduling, task tracking and all that.

Talk to the guys at NIMLABS, Andrew Sinagra is awesome… super helpful and having the ability to talk to them, seeing our requests implemented soon is great.

Can’t recommend them enough.

One thing to remember, we have had to customize our NIM pipeline a lot to do the kind of modern asset publishing you come to expect from such applications, the API is great, don’t be afraid and it is easy to program when compared with SG but yes, you WILL have to very likely if you or your team are using CGI.

3 Likes

It is very similar to this one: https://vimeo.com/452727908?share=copy

I think in its current version in has been slightly amended to use custom field for a shot name but it should fall back to the main name if its not present.

Nice! I wrote a Resolve-Kitsu hook a while back… for a friend’s feature project.

For Flame I guess is simpler and the sequence/shot creation is a native feature. Resolve is way behind in that area.

1 Like

That is great to see @milanesa , how did you store your custom data? I found Resolve SO POOR in that respect that we simply can’t integrate it in our pipeline while Flame is a breeze.
thanks for sharing.

You can create arbitrary metadata fields… I guess like in any other project management server. In the case of the Resolve Info field (4:17) because the amount of data is so extensive I just stored it a literal dictionary that can be queried by the API if needed. Since I mostly do shot work in Nuke, I prefer a dedicated shell environment per shot/task. Most of that metadata is passed as Environment Variables so the database is no constantly queried.

Example:

I see, that is handy… now, can you store data on the timeline as well? I didn’t manage to find a way.
Thanks in advance

Do you mean inside Resolve itself? You can store custom data inside a Timeline (or Segment) marker. Is a special piece of metadata called Marker Custom Data… or something similar. Not visible in the Resolve UI, by you can call it via API.

But I agree, Resolve is way behind Flame on the Shot Naming/VFX Pulls area. If only Flame can do proper EXR metadata :expressionless:

Hear hear!!

1 Like