Questions about your Auto Key usage

Having the X,Y and Z channels linked by default in the scale parameter would be awesome! Is there already some shortcut / key combo for this? Maybe if you could press L for link and drag a connection from one to the other would be cool? Either directly on the slider values in the axis or in the animation curves.

Right-click it.

1 Like

I learn something new every day . . . .

1 Like

This shortcut exists for several versions back.

Sounds like a good ideaā€¦ Will try it.

I am revisiting this after @Jonhollis mentioned in another thread that he would like to have a ā€œSemi Auto Keyā€ mode.

I can think of two ways to implement this:

Option A

• We keep the Auto Key toggle button where it is right now.
  • Auto Key On still does the same
  • Auto Key Off still does the same
  • We add a preference that enables the automatic creation of keyframes on channels that already have a keyframe set on them even though Auto Key is disabled.

The main challenge/drawback here would be the visual indication as we couldnā€™t really indicate a on/off status based on the channel selection. You could rely on the indicators at the bottom of the numeric fields and we could add a general indication such at the text of the toggle button being yellow when it is disabled but the preference is enabled.

Option B

• The Auto Key toggle button is transformed into a drop down button that contains 3 options: Off, On and ā€œSemiā€
  • Auto Key On still does the same
  • Auto Key Off still does the same
  • Semi automatically creates keyframes on channels that already have a keyframe set on them but not for channels that donā€™t have any.

It would be easier to have a different background colours for the On and Semi mode with this option, but it could be more complicated to change the buttonā€™s status with shortcuts as a single shortcut would toggle between the three options. We could also make it so the shortcut only toggles between on and off.

What option would you prefer? Any other idea?

3 Likes

The only time this bothers me is inheriting a setup from an autokey-on-all-the-time person, where there are single keys on non-animated channels everywhere. So the above options sound cool, but really all I would need to be happy is a button that finds all the channels with only one key and deletes it.

1 Like

Hi Fred,

Of the options presented here, B would be my preference

Both sounds cool,

I personally would vote fore for A, as B doesnā€™t sound friendly enabling/disabling it via shortcuts.
Having a semi in general sounds awesome and enabling/disabling via preferences is def. a good use.

Maybe Iā€™m just lost, but I canā€™t see how anyone operates without toggling autokey as needed.

Yes. This is the bane of Flame. Artists who keep auto key on for no reason, creating random keyframes that mean nothing and I have to go and clean it up. Please stop this, peeps!

2 Likes

Option B, please. I never thought thereā€™d be a day when Flame got After Effects-style keyframing, but wow am I here for it!

2 Likes

PSA: Folks, please assign Alt-A as autokey toggle, and use it. Itā€™s way faster and more ergonomical than whatever the stock key is (ctrl-a??)
Toggle it when you want a keyframe. Otherwise leave it off please.

Please donā€™t spend any time tweaking the Auto Key functionality. Iā€™d rather have something else.

6 Likes

Yes please donā€™t touch that, and please do touch other things. Ainā€™t broke. Donā€™t fix it.

3 Likes

There is not now, nor will there ever be a ā€œone size fits all automagical autokey setting.ā€ Leave it and move on. Multi-depth rgb values in the player colour picker. Concentrate on that.

So long as I can turn Auto Key on once and then never turn it off Iā€™m happy.

Should I ever need to hand a setup to Noah or Greg Paul, all the better. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I have to check, but I believe that Dante had a special little room for keyframe terrorists.

1 Like

Heck yeah he does!

What he said, Iā€™d rather anything than resources spent on this