Sequence Inheritance

So I have been handed a premiere project to make deliverables and due to time constraints there is no way I am moving this over to Flame (there are warp stabs EVERYWHERE of course)

I used to do all versioning in Premiere so I am comfortable in it even though I havent opend premiere in like 3 years.

Now I realized I am really missing a feature in Flame, and that is beign able to use reference a timeline in another timeline, like nesting the MAIN timeline and then doing more sequences with just swapped audio so that when I change something in the main timeline it ripples through so I can pretty much create a inheritance system , which is AWESOME for versioning, like insanely good.

Now What I sometimes do in flame if I dont want to deal with all the headaches of Connected Conform (sorry but its really painful to use…) I export the main timeline as a file and then read it back into flame to use it for the sub versions but its a 2 step process.

so here comes my question:
I am imagining some JSON file based Timeline inheritance thing for flame… like have the main timeline described as a JSON main file and then do sub-timeline based overrides using more JSON files then have python parse that and auto create versions.

Is that a thing we can do with the current flame API or is this way too crazy , i honestly havent checked it out at all but now I kinda want to :stuck_out_tongue:

Or you know maybe I am just missing a way to drag a sequence into another sequence :upside_down_face:

I use Connected Segments, which is like Connected Conform lite.

1 Like

I would love to have nested sequences. Like you can do in After Effects. Just drag one composition into another one and do this inception thing as many times as you need. This would be great in situations where the connected Conform workflow has its limits or is just to complicated to setup for a simple task. Versioning in different formats is definitely one of the most useful scenarios I think.

I remember this feature request from three years ago, which goes in the same direction:
https://feedback.autodesk.com/project/feedback/view.html?cap=5afe6c845cb3447ab36ccbd7f0688f84&uf=3b4567a429934e9096265b415bdef8f5&slsid=3dcc94bd0dfb42b4925da4a676b846ba&fbclid=IwAR2TUgyxq-w28ul8GUBhNga2EkN_1LzxuJyILB4AxKbCI4aARyVk_0k_q7U

The hack is to publish out a timeline which you then reimport soft as a source without caching. Every time you update the master timeline publish the other soft versions will inherently update. What breaks it are renders on other layers over the referenced layer.

BatchFX is really the inception shit you’re mentioning but flame lacks the “I’m not an independent copy of the master timeline but a direct reference” flag on sequences (as one can have on segments) so bouncing it off disk acts to solve that glaring omission.

1 Like

yea thats what I am doing now, just boucing out the whole timeline.

2 Likes

I like your suggestion though… vaguely reminiscent of OSD edits in Houdini or Clarisse.

1 Like