Some very minor annoying things that never get fixed in every version ( or i need to change my ways)

Have you ever made added them to the feedback portal? I’ve had 4 of these types of peeves addressed in the last two versions. It brings it to Discreet’s attention and it provides a barometer for how many other people are bothered by the same things. If you look at the “what’s new” for each release, there are bucket loads of things that have come from the feedback.

1 Like

Honestly never have! Where is the feedback portal, part of my autodesk account page?

Totally understand that! We all have to be responsible for flagging things to the support team but through the years there are a handful of artists that were beta testers or had a real interest in always writing to autodesk… then theres people like me that have been heads down doing the work without really having much contact with the developers and support. i was always too busy to get involved really - or after 10hrs wanted to go get a drink after work instead of testing out new bits of software or helping a dev team! but yes no excuse for me just some context for why issues dont get flagged sometimes.

4 Likes

It’s a common sentiment, but as someone who’s done a lot of feed-backing, it’s not particularly time consuming. Log into account, explain the issue you are having and suggest a solution.

And as you said, how much time is lost having to hop these small hurdles daily?

Two examples of feedback I’ve gotten addressed:

I was getting annoyed at the “all features on” of recursive ops so I suggested they change the default state to just be a max operation, which it now is. Saves me time making clean plates.

The “circle ring outline” preset of the blur node was something I whipped up and asked if they could put it in the software and now I use that badboy daily. Saved myself weeks of adjusting the defocus kernel at this point.

6 Likes

@theoman

I saw that you submitted to entries to the Flame Feedback portal. Sorry if it wasn’t clear, but that was not the proper thing to do in your case.

This portal is to request new features/functionalities that are not in Flame at the moment.

Defects/Bugs must be reported to the support team through the following procedure: Technical support case creation procedure

While giving feedback is easy, giving good feedback is hard and many of the people giving the most feedback would do well to keep that in mind.

ok, i felt so good too to finally post. I used that link posted above. ok ill see if i can delete them.

I too blame co3 for having to smash Link Sources

At some point they stopped shooting in that tunnel in downtown LA that was a patchwork of filth. It was always a treat to clean that up… over and over and over

3 Likes

I wish. Just cleaned it up for millionth time on my last spot—transient folks and their shopping baskets and all.

My second pet-peeve are those car2car shots on San Vicente and it’s tangled mess of telephone wires, potholes and school buses.

My heart is bleeding :drop_of_blood:

1 Like

Here’s two quite specific minor quibbles:

When switching from a 1Up to 2Up view: rather than beiong presented your current view and a new view you’re given two predetermined views (schematic and default cam). This is almost never the behaviour I want.

When organising libraries you can’t manually organise by default, you have to create a localised sort first and then select unsorted which always strikes me as annoyingly irrational.

1 Like

feature request/bug report.

It’s the only way.

2 Likes

DONE!

Bit of a fiddle to send feedback, I’m sure not intentionally so!

2 Likes

Ha! It isn’t easy is it. I find that nothing is very obvious on the Autodesk website.

Just in case anyone else is struggling I’ll put this link here:

Flame Feedback procedure

Right I’ve been inspired to report some of the small bugs that I encounter.
I’ve reported all these apart from the ones with a strike through, I used the link that Fred posted.

I always forget issues when I am busy as I just use my work arounds, so I started making a list.
I’m posting this here in case someone can tell me some of this stuff is just operator error.

Action

1 Sometimes going to priority only shows “Action - Matchbox Only”
Realised this happens if you go to the priority tab while having a matchbox selected

2 When selecting an action in batch or creating a new action it sometimes automatically defaults to selecting both the bg and layer 1 as inputs. This means you can’t see the front or back with a hotkey press and when you add an image it adds one for the bg and one for the layer.

3 The axis scale parameter in the Display settings tab, continually resets.

4 Adding a gmask tracer in action after a Mono Analyzer 3D track always adds the gmask to the tracker image not the selected axis.

5 Adding a gmask in action most of the time adds random numbers into the axis position.

6 Grid sometimes stays on after Mono Analyzer 3D tracking (the old 3d tracker) until you select a node in the batch then go back to the action.
I can’t recreate this consistently enough, and I thought this was supposed to have been fixed, but I think I encountered it recently again.

7 Front centre of Matchbox FrontMatteOffset is inverted compared to the centre of the older Source front node.

Gmask Tracer.

8 New gmask node is much slower than the old one when a mask with a lot of vertices is added.
This may have been fixed, need to test it more. Maybe it’s just in certain circumstances.

9 Can’t select all vertices of gmask with CTRL-A when viewing a context.

10 Can’t add a gmask when viewing a context.

11 Why does turning “smoothing” down to 0% make the mask smoother?
This was mentioned in a thread in Logik the other day, not sure if it’s a bug

12 Can’t delete keyframes from the Softness offset in gmask tracer without going into the animation editor.

13 Adding a point to an exsiting gmask always adds a point with no tangents on each shape keyframe. Sometimes when using auto tangent on each of the shape keyframes, the handles of the tangent spin around and create unwanted animation.

Timeline

14 “New Sequence” on desktop doesn’t retain last sequence made, instead seems to take the last resolution that was worked on in batch.

15 Can’t select more than one layer in timeline if layers are empty.

Blur node

16 Doesn’t work correctly in Defocus mode when blooming is set above 1

2 Likes

#5- That’s because you are adding the mask while viewing the image. The numbers are where you drop the axis when you drag it in. If you add the mask within the schematic it defaults to zero. There may be a secret hotkey to zero the axis when you drop it, but I don’t know it. I’ve always been a habitual achematic adder.

Perfect thanks.
As soon as I read that I seem to recall Grant Kay mentioned it on one of his videos.

You have to drag it into the schematic though, you can’t double click even when in the schematic.
But that’s great to know.

Try setting up the viewports the way you want and save it as a layout preset.

I do this for various grading setups like 4 up with scopes on. Its easy then to select a layout in the drop down menu

1 Like

It’s a good point and I do this too but it doesn’t quite address my issue. Generally I’ll be in a view, be it the working camera, top view or whatever - when I switch to 2up I almost always want to retain my current view and add another - not start with a two completely reset views.

2 Likes

when i write my daily archive, it often happens that i go to the archive in the media hub via the Files tab and then change it to archive. Flame unfortunately does not remember the path

3 Likes