Spline roto

I need to create a spline roto to recreate a telephone cable, can anyone suggest a simple way to do this?

Edit: nevermind! Are you talking about like a coiled cable coming off of a handheld receiver telephone?

1 Like

Exactly, at the moment I’m using matte edge on a tracer, but obviously not the best solution as its a closed shape.
It seems such a simple thing but to my knowledge has never been achievable other than in desktop paint and even thats pretty bad.

Not at the box but isn’t there a way to draw an open spline in action?

Whoa, thats perfect.
So thats been there since 2105?

2 Likes

Yup… one can even track the vertices if I’m not mistaken… could help with the cord. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not using an open spline in the tracer? A-Shift-Click to define the width with the softness, tweak the softness curve to give it more opacity?

1000% you can track with the open gmask. Also, you can bump up the “intensity” parameter on it to get some extra heft and less of a gradient/ more of a solid shape.

1 Like

I would love a visual on what you guys are talking about.

2 Likes

I believe we’re talking about this kind of cable on this handheld phone receiver!

Not that, it’s to replace the spaghetti of cable on the floor from a phone and answer machine.
Lots of good advice here, thanks.

2 Likes

worth playing around with the gradient curve and also the Intensity slider too get the right softness along with the gradient if its thin. i find the default settings are too soft in the middle of an open spline gmask usually. Upping samples to 4 as well.