Today @ 2pm - Logik Live #76: Using Flame for Unique Film Installations

When most people think of Flame they think of VFX work for features, TV shows and commercials. David Crites uses Flame to create on-site film installations for museums and events. David is going to take us through how he used Flame to create rich, immersive content for the American Civil War Museum and the World of Coca-Cola Visitor Center. We’re LIVE on YouTube TODAY, 2/20 @ 2pm ET.

Plus, I’ll be giving away some excellent Logik merch and a 1 year license of Optics from BorisFX! If you’d like a chance at winning one of our weekly prizes you need to register at http://www.logiklive.com. See you all at 2pm ET!

1 Like

Hi @dcrites I couldn’t make the stream today but I caught the replay. Really enjoyed the overview. I have two questions, if you don’t mind :slight_smile:

1. In addition to Flame do you use other 3D/compositing apps targeted towards immersive experiences like Notch or TouchDesigner? If so, how do you move back and forth between apps?

2. When planning projection mapping by creating GMasks in Flame, do you eventually export to a Media Server platform like disguise d3, SMode, Pixera, etc? Or is your work done exclusively in Flame then you hand off the assets to someone else who maps the media? I’m assuming the projects with projections or large video sizes run on a Media Server system?

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark,

I’m glad you enjoyed the overview.

I do all of the projection mapping in Flame. We most often use the 7th sense Delta and Infinity servers for large media installations. The Infinity is capable of playing 8k x 4K uncompressed media at 60p 444 10bit, or up to 16 hd streams over SDI. They have an integrated 3d mesh mode for projections, but so far, I’ve done it all in Flame. With these particular servers, I deliver full plates that the server divides and blends over multiple projectors.They also work with most of the camera based alignment systems, like the Vioso, which we used to blend the 8 ultra short throw projectors for the rear screen on the Civil War project. Every project is different, I’m never quite sure what I’m going to get into next.

I have had a little exposure to Touch Designer through a couple of interactives we have done, but that’s mostly outside of what I do. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

dc