Using Diffuse Projector, but with moving Geo

I very often use a cleaned up frame and project it back onto a surface using a 3D track. The 3D FBX track I have received this time has a moving camera, and also a moving object. (Usually I would have just a moving camera and a static object to attach my surface to). How do I set this up so I can project a cleaned up frame onto this moving object?

This is how I would usually do things; Diffuse Projector with all keyframes removed. But this doesn’t work with the projection surface moving too.

1 Like

i seem to remember doing something similar - i wanted to project onto a 3d model that was moving so i attached the projector and its axis to the axis that was controlling the model. Then when i positioned the projector correctly onto the model using its own axis, this was then moved in conjunction with the model when the overall control axis was used…if that makes any sense

1 Like

Yes that does make sense, thank you. Just finding it very fiddly to line up properly and wondering if there was a trick.

could you use the axis info from the camera on the first frame and apply that to the projector - basically to put the projector at the same place the camera is?

I think you have to use OG projectors. Relevant Grant Kay video:

2 Likes

I haven’t done this in a minute, but I’m almost positive this is the way to go about: do what you normally would with your duplicated camera that has just your projection frame “kept” on it. You have your diffuse map all set up like normal as well. The difference is going to be that the duplicated camera with the single key frame is going to be parented downstream from the axis (looks like it’s called p04_nclo1or something like that in your example). Now for the line up, in between your camera and you axis it is riding on, you’re going to duplicate po4_ncl01, “keep” the keyframe on the same frame as your kept camera and click invert on this axis. Should be good to go!

It helps me to visualize what is actually happening here as if we’re projecting mapping a real surface and shooting that in the real world. If the landscape we were projecting on was static, we’d just have our projector camera (what is the camera with just the single keyframe in our action) attached to the ground and we fly over it with our camera that is shooting the scene (the camera tracked camera with all the keyframes). However, if we’re projecting on the side of a moving truck going down that landscape, our projection camera (with the single static keyframe) would need to be attached to that truck (in your instance axis p04 is where we’re bolting it on) so it can go along for the ride and keep in position while we film it, otherwise the truck just flies on by. Make sense?

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me here - that was really baffling me!

1 Like

No problem Commodore