What’s on your desk that brings you joy?

There’s a “Figsby” Tele, an acoustic and an electric cello, a Moog, and a few other instruments but those aren’t on my desk :wink: . They do however, all bring me joy. Over the years my music studio has turned into my flame studio, especially with all the WFH lately. Sadly, so has my time. Although I will play a bit between renders…

An Aquarium. Love an aquarium next to my Flame. This was my mobile rig, when setup at home in Jakarta. Also burgers on the BBQ in the BG, always good to have a BBQ by your Flame.

6 Likes

@randy

Actually #1 is my backscratcher but I was too lazy to find it.

#2 the big ass 32 lcd monitor I got for my birthday. Just in time for working remotely.

#3 I guess my xbox controller? I have a love/hate relationship with COD.

2 Likes

just found the other, slightly smaller thing that makes me smile…my Lego Dalek that my wife customized into an Elvis Impersonator

4 Likes

Snow!!!

1 Like

Uh, that’s a grammophone there, isn’t it? And the real shellac records?

1 Like

Yup, I’ve got quite a large collection of olde 78s, including a case of French records that I got off ebay. Loadsaccordion stuff! File sizes mean I cannot put anymore up than this. They break really easily and sadly waved goodbye to “I Scream for Ice Cream” 78 a couple of years ago. Like this but much more mannered.

Really p*ssed I broke that!

Cheers
Tony

2 Likes

it didn’t last long…rain all day every day since then!

1 Like

There is something super cheap on my desk that started out as a joke years ago while I was freelancing at a company around Thanksgiving. The joke was to buy something really cheap but also kind of silly and useless on Black Friday Sale. Just as a joke about this feeling of having to make a good bargain on that day. So I bought this cat lamp that changes color when you hit it. It ended up sitting on my desk at that company for the rest of the winter. By that time it had already become something like a popular mascot and people stopped at my desk to play with it. When I didn’t bringing it with me anymore people asked me about it like “Hey, where is the cat?”. And it became a habit to bring it to work with me when I was booked at that company. Over time it became something like a dear pet friend named “Die Katze” (The Cat). At home we began dressing it with the seasons. In my new Home Office it sits behind my desk alongside a mannequin head from the 60s named “Herb”.

3 Likes

My son made me this awesome photo for Father’s Day a few years ago.

Now that he’s full of teenage angst and attitude, I find myself thinking about it a lot while muttering “it’s just another phase” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What’s the difference between a font and a typeface?

It’s like a rhetorical question and a tongue-in-cheek question.

Thank you for letting me go through your library @TonyRichards. It’s always great to see what people have on their shelves :slight_smile:

1 Like

A typeface is a family, such as Helvetica, Gotham, etc. A font is the particular subset of the typeface, such as bold, condensed, italic, etc.

FYI for the past year one of my favorite past times is picturing you talkin’ COD trash to some 13 year old punk but in that really kind and calm voice of yours…

“Umm…so yeah…I kinda just killed you from really really far away without trying. Sorry bro.”

Nice one @Sinan and if you want me to scan any pages then let me know!

Cheers
Tony

PS, not all of those books are books that I would subscribe to, as around 1/4 of my books are ones that I am critical of. A few years ago I did a conference paper on transhumanism (I’m into critical post-humanism like Derrida and Haraway) and some of the books, or positions consulted were Ray Kurzweil and Kevin Warwick. The latter was famous for putting a chip in both himself and his wife with the argument that they could “feel” each others feelings for each other. “Was it good for you?” would thus be a question that would never be worth asking, or any lie detector or quizzical look applied of “was it really?.” One can just bypass the face-bridge/barrier and cut straight to the insides. It also allowed them to communicate, he argued, over the Internet and thus experience the pleasure of the loved one, from a distance. I found this very thought-provoking but, again, not a reading that I would subscribe to!

2 Likes

2 Likes