What’s on your desk that brings you joy?

I love my back scratcher. What’s on your desk that’s super cheap but makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

1 Like

my desks themselves…built out of the most basic timber from the diy store…they’ve lasted 4 house moves, two users (wife used them as a sculpting bench, then i used it for leatherwork, now they are earning their keep as a home edit suite!

2 Likes

Ooh nice! Got any pictures?

just taken this…desk is very scruffy, but so am I.

And we have had the first snow of the winter - nice to be working in a room with a view, instead of my studio without any windows.

7 Likes

A “Blickensderfer 7” typewriter in good working order. I also have a typewritery Azio Retro Classic USB keyboard, but I wish I could hook up my Blickensderfer and press its spacebar to pan around my viewports…

Cheers
Tony

2 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Wow. Cool. Any pics?

hahahahah…yeah that is kinda creepy notion, aint it?

yep! my GFs daughter! love her face!! elf on the shelf is even creepier!

Rotary Dial from an old British Telecom wall phone. I love the smooth action and the classic numerical typeface. I was never able to get the phone itself working on US lines, but the last phone I did use on a land line was a 1940 Western Electric. It was removed from an old hotel and I modified a 1928 dial in order to make it operational. I still have it, and if I didn’t need two computers on my desk, I would have room to display it. For now I’ll settle for the dial.

4 Likes

Snow . . . . Lucky.

2 Likes

I know…pity it’s melting away now.

A nice bottle of Tequila or Whiskey. Fullfills warm and fuzzy, but not the cheap. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

But seriously, a 6" cross section live-edge “steak” of mountain mahogany that I finished to a smooth satin going up to 1000 grit. I use it as a ridiculously oversized coaster, but the surface is sooo silllky…

2 Likes

Pics?

Here’s my study/hangout and letting it all hang out. Have a variety of olde equipment but it all still works (wind-up gramophone, MacSE, etc.). As a lockdown treat I bought myself an old prison door to hang over the proper door. I have to deliver classes from home under lockdown so thought I’d play off that when I saw this door on Etsy! [IMG_9874|666x500](upload://x1

tQRvsiHBFQrD8Cm5S75RySaeh.jpeg)

Cheers
Tony

5 Likes

Mountain mahogany is really fascinating. It has one of the highest densities of any hardwood species, sinks in water, and requires a microscope to count its rings. It was widely used by native americans for its medicinal qualities and is incredibly slow growing. The cross section of fallen tree I have here is probably over 250 years old. It’s a fantastic cooking wood. Also makes a great coaster for this here nerd. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

… and what about that Tele behind?

Nice!!

1 Like