ACES workflow

Can you check and see what LUT your broadcast is using? Access the viewing settings using the View button on the RHS of your batch window.

Looks like the issue is here then as my setup is:

Iā€™ve got my aces project up and when in batch and call up a paint node, why is white at .8 on the scopes. What should I set the scopes to in an aces project

Are you painting an alpha @johnag ?

It is expected behavior, your scopes didn`t lie.

Part of ACES view transform is RRT (aka Reference Rendering Transform), think of it like creative LUT that applied to you signal before displaying it. Just get used to it and everything will be fine.

3 Likes

Hi all,

So I have an image that was made in photoshop and also supplied as a png and I need to add it to my aces.cg comp. Is it bad to convert it to aces and use it in the comp. I can get the image to look like what I want with grade/comp stuff so is that OK? If Iā€™m happy with the viewing result is that OK ok? wysiwyg ??

hi @johnag

this question comes up quite often and it sounds like your approach is good, ie get it into aces colorspace and then tweak it with some CC. There is no ā€œone buttonā€ to get there. Hereā€™s a useful link:

Thanks @TimC

I noticed that in @randyā€™s 8 minute aces video that he tagged graphics at srgb. Why and whats the reason?

1 Like

i donā€™t remember that part specifically, but i do remember @randy talk about BLTs in that video. :slight_smile: If he is tagging a logo or client supplied graphic as sRGB vs rec709 the difference is very minor. As long as you get it into ACES and color correct it to match your clientā€™s brand colors or whatever the desired look is you are good. To be clear, i donā€™t advise doing this for top layer titles or graphics that do not need to be photographically integrated into a shot. all that top layer / cut to the end tag stuff should stay in rec709 above a view transform in your timeline.

Nah that sRGB was just an example of Input Rules. Ignore that.

Regarding Rec 709 to ACEScg, Timestamp 6:15. I discuss this. 6:15 to 7:55. Ya gots 3 choices. Input Transform, which changes the look but keeps the math about right, View Transform (inverted!) which makes it look right but breaks the math, or, do it all in Log and ignore all this crap.

1 Like

When putting an ACES.cg clip into Neat is there a way to lift the exposure of the viewer like you can in Flame Shift-E.

Should I convert it to log before going into Neat?

There is no way to control preview exposure inside NeatVideo interface (at least, I didn`t know it exist). But you can switch between linear and gamma corrected just for viewing purposes.

About log and NeatVideo: you can try both, and, depending on your source footage, there can be some benefits to suppres noise in log and go back to linear, but 99.9% of a time it not necessary.

So should the input data type on NEAT be set to Linear or gamma corrected if Iā€™m inputing an ACES .cg clip. Iā€™m assuming Linear.

Yep, should be linear.

1 Like

for logos it depends: you can use either of randys ways if you need to integrate the logo into your scene reffered plate, if its like a corner or fullscreen logo type thing you have no choice but to apply the logo after the view transform.

(acescG->rec709 on a timeline gapFX then above it drop the logo tagged as 709 for example)

regarding neat; converting to source log and gamut can work wonders for denoising (set it to gamma corrected in neat) I always do this instead of choosing linear. same goes for any scaling, I always scale in native log and gamut of the camera.

2 Likes

Thanks again for making this! Iā€™m working in Batch and comping CG onto a shot pre-grade. This isnā€™t my typical workflow so I want to make sure I have this rightā€¦

TAG the input color space LogC/AlexaWideGamut to do my cleanup.

INPUT TRANSFORM to switch the footage from LogC/AlexaWideGamut to ACEScg and comp my graphics/animation, then duplicate that input transform after and click the invert node.

What about exporting it out as flat (same as the plate)? Do I have to put a TAG node at the very end of the comp or can I just export at this point?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks clear to me @digitalbanshee
You shouldnā€™t need to tag again if you have inverted back from linear to log-C

You can see if your writeNode is displaying the correct tagging but even if it was, other systems can sometimes loose this metadata. I just hit bypass in the bottom left to turn off my viewing LUT just so I can check that it looks log.
taggedLog

You can always compare to the input clip also :+1:

Soz @randy I jumped in there

3 Likes

@randy thanks for the video. Helps a lot with RED and Alexa for me.
Now Iā€™m using MXF, Sony X-OCN XT, Sony Raw.
When I autoconvert from SLog2/SGamut2.Cine to LogC (v3-EI800) AlexaWidwGamut the footage matches the transcodes pretty closely. So it give me a great starting point. Youā€™ve recommended not to auto convert. Is there another way I can do this?

What precisely are you trying to achieve? Most of the time we work our job is not to change images, just work on pieces of them whilst protecting all the data. If itā€™s all tagged, unless you are republishing for others (to ACEScg for your cg friends, for example) there isnā€™t really that much reason to change stuff too much. Can you share more about what your needs are?

Doing a grade for a VFX house. Rec709 commercial.