Upgrade ACES

Hi Tim,
I don’t have a YouTube link for you, but the two approaches I was referring to are:

1. Interpret Rec.709 as a texture
    Use a Colour Mgmt node set to Input Transform with the Input Space set to Rec.709 video and the Working Space set to ACES2065-1 (or whatever similar space is being used). This maps white in the video to 1.0 in the scene-linear working space but the colours don’t match exactly in the viewport.

2. Interpret Rec.709 as video
    Use a Colour Mgmt node set to View Transform with the Invert button toggled, the Display set to Rec.709 video, the Tagged Colour Space set to ACES2065-1 (or similar), and the View Transform set to “From Rules” to match your default viewing rule in your preferences, or manually set to some other view, typically “ACES 1.0 SDR-video”. The Rec.709 graphic should look as intended in the viewport but white now will be about 16 (or similar) based on what is necessary to invert the View Transform.

I know you’re familiar with both of these, but I list them in case anyone else was wondering. As you know, there are pros/cons to each. I agree your method of using the first approach and then nudging with a bit of colour correction to match the desired look better is a good way of doing it. Ideally the ACES 2.0 working group would try to produce a more automated way of doing that.

best,

Doug

5 Likes