Crop borders of frames

Hello Forum

Made a clip with a sequence of still images. Now it turns out that some(not all) pictures/shots
need to be cropped (each of them individually) because of black borders (diapositive scanning).

I don’t think that the “Crop Edges” in Effects is the solution…
nor this one:
crop frame - Autodesk Community ?

Question:
How can that be done in Flame?

Thanks a lot!
Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe,

2 ways.

1. Front source. Add a front source to an image in Action and slightly scale up or down the Front Source’s Axis to make or erase borders.

2. Diffuse map. Add a diffuse map beneath your image in Action and scale the Axis attached to the Diffuse map.

And, if you need a little real time guidance, I’m available now and in the Discord if you want to share your screen.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the offer. Does that mean I have to jump right now into the node based compositing or can i just use the existing Timeline-setup (see below), if the final “goal” is:

• crop boards of frames

• add animated 2d text

• render (to my understanding, the Render Node would be the best option for rendering)

• import a 3D rig (only required in the future version 2 of this clip)

• changing background of 3D composit

• setting lights

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Joe

Well, it depends.

Can you briefly explain the project you are working on?

Ok, I would like to add a 3D Book Rig at the end of the still image sequence.

Something like that:
https://www.highend3d.com/3d-model/book-rig-for-maya-v-1-1-2-3d-model

Sorry for re-activating this old thread. After doing the job in the past with GIMP I finally
would like to be able to use Flame for the cropping of black borders (results from
scanning the diapositives). Unfortunanely I am progressing very very slowly in Flame…

Does somebody see the possibility to make a screen recording of the whole cropping?
(If possible in the Timeline/Desktop because I don’t have experience with Node based
comping).

Any help is appreciated very much. Thank you!

1 Like

Yo!!!

I’m in! Are you on discord by chance? I’m just starting my day now, but I’m available most of the day. Wanna screen share your setup on the Logik Discord and I’ll voice chat you through it?

Thank you very much Randy for beeing ready to help me over Discord. It’s not that my footage is secret or that till today I nerver used Discord, but I am missing so many Flame basics that I am only able to replicate the process after watching it again and again… So I will try it again and post the screen recording of my non working approach…

For the moment, just an example of a photo with this black scanning borders (which should be removed)

Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Well, now is the time.

Go here…

Sign up for an account, and post in the flame-help channel, and I’ll know that’s you, and walk you through it.

1 Like

No doubt Randy’s got you sorted Joe but if you need something to refer back to later I made a quick screen recording for you.

1 Like

Thank you very much leowoo, You’re a life saver :slight_smile:

Nevertheless may I ask you what’s the purpose ot the “Untitled Sequence” in the last Reel?

@joe99 That was to illustrate dropping one resolution of footage (4k) into a timeline “Untitled Sequence” of a different resolution (HD). Therefore the 4k needs to be resized to fit into the HD timeline. Was that helpful? Did you manage to get the desired result when resizing your footage?

Thank you for your continued help!

Yes it does work and thank you very much for your help, especially for the screen-recording!

Nevertheless it’s working now, I do not understand what’s going behind the scenes…

Why the shot (with the tripod) alone (without the seqeunce in Reel/sequence 5) can not be scaled up in order the black borders do disappear?

Thank’s!

It certainly can.

1. Enter the Timeline FX Resize editor
  2. Display the Front view (F1) in a viewport
    → You should see a green Crop box in the viewport
  3. Move the Crop Box so it surrounds only the image, not the the black border.
1 Like

Thanks for your help! The cropping seems to work, but the black borders are even larger than before in the sequence (Timeline) .

What I am doing wrong?

It looks like you are doing a resize as a soft effect on a clip therefore you cannot change the resolution of the clip through cropping. Try using the resize module from the Tools menu directly.

From there you can enable the “crop/lock output” option. This will trim the clip to the size of the green crop box you are using to get rid of the black borders.

Thank you for your help. It does work - at least nearly:
The final output seems to miss some frames …

Pls have a look at: SwissTransfer.com - Envoi sécurisé et gratuit de gros fichiers

Any additional help is appreciated. Thank’s a lot!

Hi there Joe,

A couple of things to note.

1. you have a soft resize applied to your 60 frame clip as well as resizing it on the desktop. You are doubling up on the resizing which is unnecessary. Delete the timeline resize by alt + clicking the blue dot on the timeline resize.

2. when you render out the desktop resize you are parked on the last frame. That is why your rendered result is only one frame long (not 60). Scrub the timeline back to frame 1 before you press render in the desktop resize module.