After so many years using Flame on Linux (I actually started back in 1995 on IRIX!), this year I had to make the move to Flame on Mac.
I’m already seeing some interesting advantages, especially how easy it is to integrate Flame with other applications such as Photoshop, Sammie-Roto, or basically any other Mac desktop app.
I’d love to hear from my friends here on the forum who have been using Flame on Mac for a while. Any advice, tips, experiences, or insights about working with Flame on this platform would be greatly appreciated — things you like, things to watch out for, workflow tips, performance considerations, etc.
Check out my ‘Open in Photoshop’ script on the Logik-Portal. I use this all the time on my mac flame system. Whether it’s a PSD file or other still image that I want to generative fill.
I’m in the same boat.. Irix - Linux - Mac .. other than some nfs shenanigans (have your Mac talk to your NAS over nfs.. massive speed gains compared to smb) .. I see no reason to use a linux box. the basically unlimited vram that comes with Mac is quite useful too occasionally..
It’s great for operating as a one-man-band. Download the scans and edit prep, convert the .ai logo to .png in photoshop, open the AE file and see if you can determine what source the freelancer was building on, copy/paste from a google doc the shipping filenames, have media encoder churning out variations of deliverable formats, have spotify playing. All without seeing any obvious slowdowns of the machine. 99% of tech issues resolve from just rebooting - no need for getting your engineer to help in a terminal shell. Throwing your entire flame (mac studio or macbook pro) in a backpack and going mobile.
I haven’t worked on a linux box since 2022. One of the pain points of working at a larger studio was waiting on “the machine room” to download some simple graphic and put it on the server for you.
Hey Carlos!
I went reluctantly from Irix to Linux because the hardware anti-aliasing wasn’t nearly as good. You had to crank it way up to get the same result.
But when the Mac version shipped I went immediately for access to all of the great apps.
Flame on my Mac Studio was probably the most stable, best flame Ive ever worked on being totally honest. That was a top spec Mac studio a couple years ago. I think it crashed maybe twice in 6 months and the VRam pretty much never maxed out as it was unified.