Frame IO to Flame

It was me. I had just re-uploaded the old file. I’ve now fixed my fix :slight_smile:

Yes Andy just told me about that. Didn’t know about the .pyc file till now. I think we got it working now. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

Actually, it looks like I have to update something for python3 / 2022, so it’s not working in 2022 yet. I’ll update y’all when I’ve sussed it out.

2 Likes

Just another shout out to @andymilkis for this tool for getting comments into the timeline. SUPER HELPFUL! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This script is great. We were missing it in 2022 so I updated “thing = thing[3:-20]” to “thing = thing[2:-19]” and it works for me.

csv_to_markers_rev_2022.py (1.9 KB)

I’m running 2022.1 and can’t get any markers to come in. Might be me, probably is me.

You have to reformat the csv from FIO.

1. Remove the first row of table lables.
  2. Copy/Paste the TC In column to the first column
  3. Copy/Paste the Comments column to the second column
  4. Optional: Find/Replace the "s in the comments to remove them
  5. Optional: remove the third through the rest of the columns
  6. Save. Make sure it’s still a CSV.
  7. the first comment might wind up 10hrs before the first frame… just use the Markers view and make sure you can see all the markers in the right place.

It’s still so gosh darn useful… thank you @andymilkis and @john-geehreng!

2 Likes

Woo-hoo!!!

Yes! I bring it all into a Google doc since using Numbers app seems to break the CSV for some reason. Check your time code on your clip to make sure it’s the same as the one in the CSV. I also find that duplicate rows of comments with the same timecode makes everything break (disappear) after that duplicate timecode. So I copy paste all the notes into one row for it so it ends up in one marker. Or change the TC in the duplicate row by a frame.

1 Like

Very nice @andymilkis

Used this for the first time today. Your script was flawless. I am using Flame 2020.3.1

My only quibble was with how much junk I needed to delete from the csv file (not your fault)

But also I thought that it would be nice to use burn in metadata to write the comment onto the working WiP but the text formatting doesn’t allow me to line break (again not your fault). Has burnin metadata been improved in more recent versions?

Thanks for the script :+1:

Thanks Richard. I’ll take a look and see if it’s something that can be added via burn in metadata!

1 Like

Nothing you can do I don’t believe. I was inspired to get going and give Python a go.

Nah I was trying to use the Marker comments to add burnIn notes but you can’t do a line break in Flame :slightly_frowning_face: Have you tried this? It can sit as a gab effect and it will read the comments. If you drag them out to last the length of the shot it can be quite handy.

Another vote of appreciation for what @andymilkis has done here - it’s really great.

Buuut…! I always use segment markers rather than cue markers. Working in longform, nowadays it’s too common to have late re-edits happen, and we need markers to stick to the shot, not the seq TC.

I’ve tried to edit the python script to dump segment markers on a single video track seq, but it’s obviously way beyond my skills. Anyone know if this is possible? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! Let me take a look and see if I can get it to work. I seem to remember having it working both ways at one point.

Thanks Andy, much appreciated!

Got it!

csv_to_segment_markers_rev_2022.py (2.1 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks so much @andymilkis for spending time on this. Hoping to get it working for start of a big new job tomorrow!

No markers coming through but getting this in the Flame shell:

CSV to Segment Markers execute callback [<function get_media_panel_custom_ui_actions..add_markers at 0x7f9b169f59e0>((<flame.PySequence object at 0x7f9b0e36f6c0>,),)] failed because of an error of type ‘list index out of range’

What’s very weird is the csv_to_markers_rev_2022.py which I tested a few weeks ago is now throwing the same error too, using the same seq and .csv as I used successfully before. Any thoughts?

Hmmmm. I only tested it on a single layer timeline. Could that be it?

Wait…I just re-read what you wrote. Can you send me the .csv and I’ll test it here?

I could be wrong but I think that the Index out of Range has something to do with how the CSV is getting parsed.