Framestore full + Flame will not archive + VIC command not found

EDIT (for a full explanation on my problem read original post below):

OK I looked a few things up and took the plunge and went through some terminal procedures to clean things up - and it is clear to me (sorta) and I am sure I can safely use the “vic” command although I am not able to archive without enough space for 100% safety (a nice catch-22) - but now, in the terminal, I get the message “vic: command not found” - I see vic listed in /opt/Autodesk/bin/ so what’s going on here?

CentOS 8 Flame 2022.2

OK thanks

ORIGINAL POST:
Hey all! Hope all of you had a Merry Xmas!!

OK I did look up threads about clearing the Framestore but i don’t think I found anything regarding my specific sitiuation…I’ll try to explain fully:

I have a 4x2TB Nvme framestore - and due to having a 6K/8K 50fps project it’s chock full now. As in, 0 (zero!) frames available. After restart it gives me back like 8 seconds of free space, which is not much.

I deleted a Recovered Media project when present (that did help to give me back precious minutes of free space) - but that doesn’t show up now either now - not even sure when it will and when it won’t.

I also tried to carefully delete all renders like batch renders I don’t longer need, and flushed timeline renders, deleted old versions of timelines, deleted old batch iterations, etc etc went through the whole thing couple of times and the best it can give me is 30 seconds of free space which are 99,9% gone again after the next timeline render.
It’s strange because I am pretty sure I should get back at least a few more minutes of free space - this I succeeded in last week after deleting the Recovered Media project, and my current project has not changed much in volume, nearly no change - but like I said, I do not see the Recovered Media project showing up now.

It’s a new machine, so there was only one other much smaller project which for some reason Flame was able to archive - but there were only referenced clips in there so perhaps that worked because it did not need to write away any clips.
I checked that archive to see if everything was there, and deleted the project just to see if that would clean up stuff, but to no avail.

I read about terminal commands to clear the framestore (I’m on Linux 2022.2) which prob should help - but I don’t think I want to do that before archiving first. Yet, and I assume due to the lack of space, Flame will not create the archive because, well, in short it says it can’t write any clips (archiving to big fast network server with loads of space).

I am pretty stuck - I can’t even export a 40sec timeline because it now it won’t even render…

Isn’t there any (safe) way to delete/clear the framestore of unused frames without having to resort to hardcore measures like deleting everything? In the Preferences->Storage page, “Purge this” or “Purge that” don’t seem to be doing anything…

Ok I hope someone can help me hahaha I’m mid-project and I want to fix this before anyone notices :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK thanks in advance!!!

1 Like

try ./vic

Vic is installed. You just need to be in the right folder to run it.

Follow this procedure.

Thanks @randy! But I am in /opt/Autodesk/io/bin/… already tried that…

Because that is where vic is located right? And from there it also doesn’t seem to recognize it/‘command not found’

@ytf thanks! But perhaps I am doing it wrong but that doesn’t make it run either…

Ah. Try this…

/opt/Autodesk/io/FLAME VERSION HERE/bin

All of the VICs are installed there and there should be a symlink at opt/Autodesk/io/bin but you can always fall back on the highest version you have installed.

Ok I see! I will give that a go - just left because it was already EOD but tomorrow i will give it a whirl.

thanks a lot!!

@randy Hi Randy, I tried running vic from the 2022.2 version folder but it still says “command not found” - I must be doing something terribly terribly obviously wrong…I am not afraid of the terminal but my Linux skills aren’t particularly up to standards…or does the red mean I have to be an admin? I will try with sudo powers, i should have those…

./vic It didn’t work before because you were in the wrong folder

1 Like

Ah. when you are in the folder where an executable is, you need a “./” suffix. See below for 2 options.

[root@dxs-flame-05 Autodesk]# /opt/Autodesk/io/bin/vic -v stonefs0 -f
Output log to: '/opt/Autodesk/log/vic.log'.
Opening volume stonefs0 for integrity check ...
   Locking volume stonefs0...
      Options: FORCE_REMOVAL
      Initiating integrity check ...
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/_Cache_.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/Grabbed References.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/Default Library.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/Timeline FX.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/.#workspace.000.wks.
            Extracted 790 frames.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/.#project.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Adding references to proxies...
            Extracted 548 proxies.
         Verifying video stonefs frames ...
            Verified 789 active video frames
            Verified 547 deleted video frames
         Extracting audio waveforms ...
            Extracted 4 audio waveforms from 4 audio frames (0 failed 0 had none).
         Verifying audio waveforms ...
            Verified 2 active audio waveforms
            Verified 0 deleted audio waveform
         Verifying audio stonefs frames ...
            Verified 4 active audio frames
      Recovering lost frames ...
      Recovered 0 lost frames ...
               Removing unreferenced (leaked) media on volume stonefs...:     
               {
               }
            Integrity check successful in 0.051534 sec
         Unlocking volume stonefs0 ...
      Closing volume stonefs0...
Disconnecting socket [fd:23]
Removing STDFS adapter
Disconnecting socket [fd:32]
Uninitializing Python interpreter
Stopping managed threads.
[root@dxs-flame-05 Autodesk]# ^C
[root@dxs-flame-05 Autodesk]# ^C
[root@dxs-flame-05 Autodesk]# 

or

[root@dxs-flame-05 bin]# ls
ArchInfo  flame_archive  flame_export  libiconv.so.2  read_audio  read_frame  uxtime  vic  vlock  vmemdump  vmon  vref  vstat
[root@dxs-flame-05 bin]# ./vic -v stonefs0 -f
Output log to: '/opt/Autodesk/log/vic.log'.
Opening volume stonefs0 for integrity check ...
   Locking volume stonefs0...
      Options: FORCE_REMOVAL
      Initiating integrity check ...
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/_Cache_.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/Grabbed References.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/Default Library.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/Timeline FX.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/Workspace.wksp/.#workspace.000.wks.
            Extracted 790 frames.
         Extracting frames from /opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/test.prj/.#project.000.clib.
            Extracted 0 frame.
         Adding references to proxies...
            Extracted 548 proxies.
         Verifying video stonefs frames ...
            Verified 789 active video frames
            Verified 547 deleted video frames
         Extracting audio waveforms ...
            Extracted 4 audio waveforms from 4 audio frames (0 failed 0 had none).
         Verifying audio waveforms ...
            Verified 2 active audio waveforms
            Verified 0 deleted audio waveform
         Verifying audio stonefs frames ...
            Verified 4 active audio frames
      Recovering lost frames ...
      Recovered 0 lost frames ...
               Removing unreferenced (leaked) media on volume stonefs...:     
               {
               }
            Integrity check successful in 0.0537999 sec
         Unlocking volume stonefs0 ...
      Closing volume stonefs0...
Disconnecting socket [fd:23]
Removing STDFS adapter
Disconnecting socket [fd:32]
Uninitializing Python interpreter
Stopping managed threads.
[root@dxs-flame-05 bin]# 

1 Like

Ah, silly me. Had to use ./ That worked and it recognises vic as a command!But, now, after ./vic -v stonefs0, which does run now, but now it says it “can’t obtain exclusive lock on volume…” and prompts I have to stop processes, it looks like it is thinking Flame is still running? Or so?

Cannot obtain an exclusive lock on volume: close other apps or use lazy mode (-l).
The following process(es) must be stopped in order to run a full volume integrity check:

3 active connections on volume stonefs:
  Application                      PID      Host                             #Conn
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  flame                             2369104 (unknown) (10.1.132.7)             1
  vic                               2646392 flame2022 (10.1.136.24)            1
  flame                              595483 (unknown) (10.1.136.34)            1

kill -9 insertPIDhere

1 Like

And possibly you have other machines on a network connected to your framestore.

1 Like

Thanks tried the kill commands for the listed processes but in all cases it states “no such process”

And I am the only Flame in the house and it’s a local Nvme RAID and as far as I know no one else is connected to it

Thanks for your help up until now guys - it’s just that I have to leave now to catch a train. Will continue tomorrow. Thanks again!!

Hi all who took the trouble to respond and help - terminal commands didn’t work out, it’s something networky something on my side of the fence why as it won’t work probably, and I will figure this out next week hopefully when sys admins etc are back from holidays! :slight_smile:

For now I just really needed to move on and finish what I need for this project before New Year so I resorted to the somewhat dangerous sledgehammer method of just deleting the oldest directories by hand from the MediaStorage dir and pray for the best…and that worked, did not lose important stuff and got about 1.5TB of space back…not the recommended method I know, but at least I can move on now.

Thanks again and have a great New Years’ Eve!

I know I’m really late to this party, but I ran across something similar last year and this is what worked for me. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Flame InfoBytes

• When vic command is run returns the error:
"Failed to lock volume stonefsX"
  • Usually occurs if the vic command it run while flame is running OR other Flame clients on the network are using the stone.
    • If this is the case. Close Flame and disconnect the other clients, then run the vic again.
    • If this is not the case, we’ll need to edit the .ref files in /opt/Autodesk. To do so run the following commands:
nano opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/.ref
  • Change the 1 to a 0 and save the file.
nano opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/.ref.rec
  • Delete all the lines in the file and save.
nano opt/Autodesk/clip/stonefs/.ref.log
  • Again, delete all the lines in the file and save.
  • Now run the vic command again. Voila.
2 Likes

I really wish VIC was a button.

5 Likes