Gmask Tracer - Just Not Working

Team Logik. I again am losing my mind. Par for the course. I am in BFX or Batch. I have a clip I want to isolate a screen with a matte. Ok. Should be straight forward. In 2021.2 on Linux. I add a gmask tracer node and connect the clip. I add a gmask in the tracer and create the shape around the screen looking at the input. I then go to look at my output with f4 and white screen. Ok. well let’s try to add a tracer. Add basic pickers and see the keyer output in f8, but my gmask has NO effect on the image. It is keying the entire image. I back to f4 to see when we have, and a white screen. Ok. well, I used a straight gmask node and it worked as it should. This used to work. The Flame Learning channel shows I should be able to just add a gmask tracer, connect an input, open the node, add a gmask, and hit f4 and see a matte. Nope. Doesn’t do anything but show me white. Thoughts?

If I go to the output tab and select matte, I get white screen. If I select comp, it only shows up in the current up window selected. If I go to 2-up and try f4 on the right with comp selected on the output I get nothing. Matte output gives me white all the time. Crazy sauce. Or, I might just be needing to sleep and reboot.

Is it possible the mask is not closed? If you just barely missed the last point to close it and there’s no gradient it’ll just be a white output

Hi Marc,

The Gmask Tracer should be as easy as the legacy Gmask.

I double-checked it now in 2021.2 on Mac and all the behaviours I got were expected.

The only way I could get a totally white screen in the matte output is if I have not closed/finished the mask or the background input is set to white in the Render output menu.

Here is a video with keystrokes to see exactly what I am doing.

Thanks
Grant

2 Likes

Thanks! I am checking this out. Just to confirm, I did check and it is closed. Also, the background is set to input. My resolution is 3200X1800 native ProRes444XQ @ 12bit from an Alexa Mini. Not sure if the res or bit depth has anything to do with it but I will try some other test with that and from your video as well.

When I F4 to cycle through the comp and mask of the node previous to a gmask or comp node, if I stop my cycling of the view on a matte output, the view of the output after that node is stuck on matte as well no matter what I cycle through - it’s all solid white. So if I go back to the previous node and make sure I’m looking at the comp when I stop the cycle through, then I go to the next node, the view is correct.

1 Like

This just happened to me about an hour ago!

1 Like

Yeah, Nothing I do will work. Checked everything posted above. Always a white output from gmask tracer. regular Gmask node has no issues. I will try another project in a few or go back to 2021.1.x and try there. I am in Linux. I have an RTX8000. I have another case open with support for s&w stopping on my output with 2021.2 and Lustre not resolving the wiretap unless I have everything in the hosts file. I will post my results as soon as I can.

I cant say that I have seen this.

Does anyone have any exact rep steps I can try because annoyingly I cant get mine to fail.

Thanks
Grant

I was going to say, make a fresh user from the start up splash screen and recreate the same problem with a colour source as the footage.

Not sure why you’re getting a solid white frame.

Thanks
Grant

Hi

I know I’m late to the party but I just came across this problem myself and discovered that it happens when you create a new batch. After you rectify the problem in gmask tracer by selecting matte out and/or pressing 1 then from that point on any new gmask tracer displays the output matte with F4

1 Like