Grainy Cryptomatte?

Hey community! Please help? I am having a few issues with the cryptomattes I am receiving. They look fine in nuke when the cg guys are checking them, but when I try to extract them in batch they are coming out very grainy… all help appreciated! :slight_smile: They are 32 bit, and I am not resizing or changing anything…

1 Like

Hi @Naomi

Are they getting provided to you correctly? Flame can only except seven inputs and it can be easy for CG to provide too many

Uploading: IMG_3110.png…

1 Like

Maybe grab yourself some of these examples and compare the results

1 Like

Thanks Richard, Yep, there’s too many! I hadn’t encountered this before, so that makes sense - thank you. I will get them to resupply and test again. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I have never seen a poor, grainy result though so it might not be this but if there is data being supplied in channels that Flame doesn’t have access to then some information is missing :thinking:

Good luck @Naomi

Do you know what render they are using?
AOVs in Redshift

Ensure that the preview layer is enabled and set the cryptomatte level to 3

AOVs in Arnold

Ensure that the preview layer is enabled and set the cryptomatte level to 6

2 Likes

Yep! That makes perfect sense. It’s behaving like “tolerance” - the more I select, the more "tolerance I get, but I am not getting a clean matte… They’re using Redshift, so I’ll get them to export it correctly. Attached some snaps for you anyway for interest’s sake.

1 Like

@PlaceYourBetts

1 Like

Thanks again for your help, @PlaceYourBetts

1 Like

Don’t use the matte outputs of the cryptolayers in you file. Plug the fronts only into all of the crypto inputs.

2 Likes

Good spotting @cnoellert but it is only the alpha of the Preview you need to avoid @Naomi

Look carefully at the connections in my screen grab:

and yours:

The first Cyrptomatte is only a Prview frame and is not used in the calculation.

2 Likes

Ahh thanks guys. Let me try that!

Yep… that worked!! Brilliant thank you!! You guys rock.

2 Likes