Mocha 2024 now has SynthEyes camera tracking integrated

If you disliked the the SynthEyes UI, there’s hope on the horizon. Boris has integrated part of SynthEyes into the latest release of Mocha. Not everything, but for your everyday camera trackers, this may become a welcome quality / simplicity improvement.

10 Likes

Quick test:

2 min one button camera solve in Mocha, hpix 0.98. Export camera and one tracking point as FBX 6.1.

Import into Action

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 8.14.23 PM

Pretty decent result that sticks.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 8.15.15 PM

Start to finish < 5min.

With lots of upside to refine things.

Using ActionVFX practice clip.

2 Likes

Boujou 2.0

3 Likes

I wonder whatever happened to those guys. I looked a whiiiiile back and they’d gone into making murder drone software.

e: owned by a subsidiary of Boeing, apparently! 2d3 - Wikipedia

2 Likes

What version of Flame are you on? The solver just crashes for me

This was 2024.2.1… But the solver in this case is in the new version of Mocha Pro 2024 that just go released a few days ago. Works only in the standalone version of Mocha, not in the plugin for now.

It should work in the OFX but i have crashes. Curently going back and forth with support

Im in Flame 2023.3.2

2024.2.1 Mac, OFX working fine

1 Like

Hmmm… As good as this looks, am I right in thinking you cannot solve a camera any more using your planar tracks? I know in the video he said that you can only load them to re export them, but I noticed to use the new Camera Solver he launched a new dedicated workspace from the drop down? If you were to use the classic workspace for instance would the old camera solve be there? It would be a shame if it were gone, because in certain use cases it has got me out of a hole on many occasions.

I think he said he will be doing another video to show how to use planer and point tracking to help solve.

The way I understood it, is they replaced the whole module with the Syntheyes code, which is the new workspace. The rest is legacy now.

Waiting for the other video he mentioned. I’m assuming that you can combine some of Mocha’s own tracking to augment the SynthEyes trackers and then resolve. But without a demo video, we’re all guessing here.

In SynthEyes there are lots of manual tracking options, some of which you definitely want to refine difficult shots.

From what I understand, this new Syntheyes based camera tracker supplants the old camera solver in Mocha. The legacy data will still be available if you open a setup from an older version, but you can’t do solves the old way.

1 Like

doesn’t seem like they cover it in this video but one thing that’s pretty rad about this imo is that it turns mocha powermeshes into geo that you can export with your camera.

no way to add manual trackers currently but if you have planar tracks in your scene before you solve then the four corners and the center point get turned into trackers. same with powermesh, all the vertices get turned into trackers when you solve.

1 Like

Good to know. I was wondering about that.

Of course the power here is that it’s the same tracking as the full Syntheyes app. I saw during export that you can export it as a SynthEyes project. So you can always start in Mocha and if it sticks nicely, you have a quick and easy solution. If it just doesn’t want to do it, export as a SynthEyes project, go to the full app and continue there.

That seems like a good workflow balance.

Found this:

3 Likes

Yes. I am eagerly awaiting Ben’s next training vid to show how to integrate the power mesh!

Cool! You found it! Nice work Grant!

A bummer they don’t have the basic refine tool in Mocha (delete known bad trackers and re-solve). Just watched the 2nd video, you have to export it out to full Syntheyes to get those features. But like he says “it was put into mocha for super easy usability.”

Appears they’re doing some of this on auto-pilot, but you can’t tweak it.

If you click on the solve output button, the pane that shows up shows the log output. The last thing it lists is deleting various short lived trackers, etc.

Yes I think you’re right… I was hoping it would be kept, a bit like Flame kept the mono analyzer when they introduced the camera analysis… Could have kept it in the classic workspace? The more tools the better in my opinion.