Mocha? Are you using it? Should I be?

Never used mocha, but have been watching a bunch of tutorials and it seems pretty rad. The monthly price seems extremely reasonable. About to take the deep dive and just set up my subscription, but just wanted to see people’s thoughts on mocha. For example, is it something you use daily? Is it much better than flames planar track? Do you use the matchmoving functions? Do you roto in it?

3 Likes

Yup. Save 15% by using Logik-15 at checkout.

I use it for planar tracking all the time. The ofx integration is way good. I dont do much roto in it, because I dont do much roto.

Also, Silhouette Paint with the built in chroma/detail separation and being able to paint on the chroma or detail only is totally worth it.

Flame’s Planar Tracker is like the super hottie you have a crush on and think its a sure bet but sometimes freaks out and you’re not quite sure why. The Mocha tracker is like your best friend. Never lets you down.

4 Likes

Thanks randy! And that last paragraph made me chuckle. I gotta say, I never tried edge detect in high school, but I wonder if it would’ve made a difference.

1 Like

It’s without a doubt the most important piece of software other than flame to understand and use. But don’t tell anyone…

2 Likes

The magnet brush for rotoing is simply insane. I only started using Mocha a few months ago and can’t believe I waited this long. And Randy’s analogy is going to be the starting point for the podcast interview we eventually do. There’s clearly a lot to unpack there!

2 Likes

and there’s the PowerMesh stabilize:stabilize unwarp

1 Like

The power mesh looks so cool! But I’m curious to give it a run in a real world scenario and see how it holds up- either way, nice tool to have in the back pocket.

2 Likes

I used it to create some geometry to project CG onto. It was epic.

1 Like

There’s 4 things in particular that I like about Mocha

-a tracker that is slightly better at hanging on (Flame’s is very accurate, but will flip out a fraction before Mocha’s)
-Unlink tracking - reverse the tracking process when things go out of screen, a very neat trick
-stabilise module. Flame does not have this functionality
-Power mesh. New tech that everyone needs at some point

Hope this helps with your decision😎

Grant

3 Likes

I think I’m pretty well sold on it! Looking forward to getting it under my fingers and onto the utility belt!

1 Like

That mesh saved my bacon on a job recently. It’s dead easy to use and behaves like magic. I love it.

1 Like

Re: Back Pockets: Mocha Pro 2021: Patching With PowerMesh - YouTube

I’ve been using it for real jobs, ie face replacements, also for the stb retouch - unstb workflows.

2 Likes

I just bought the package and OMG checkout the Unlink feature:

Tutorial 4C
https://borisfx.com/free-training/mocha-essentials/

Boris FX still have the up to 50% off spring sale and ends tonight.

I also love that Sapphire and Continuum have Mocha built in as well.

4 Likes

Dude. I didn’t know about the unlink feature. That’s CRAZY!!!

Wait till you try screen replacement… you won’t go back.

1 Like

I’m a big Mocha planar tracker user and find it to always ALWAYS work better when compared to Flame’s planar tracker. As soon as I have a shot that Flame’s planar tracker flies off the rails, Mocha will generally be able to handle it much better. I’m only using Flame’s planar tracker if the track I’m doing is incredibly simple and almost impossible to fail; otherwise I’m jumping into Mocha. I’ve never used Mocha’s matchmove features, but for all things complex roto I’m also absolutely jumping into Mocha. Same scenario - if it’s a simple roto it’s always better to be able to see things in context within Flame, but as soon as it’s a roto that will take more than something like 20 minutes, the quality of life of using Mocha (at least for me with my background) makes it a lot more enjoyable and efficient.

I learned Mocha as a Flame Assistant, providing roto and tracking data to Flame artists daily, so when I became a Flame Artist it was a no brainer to continue to take advantage of it. I’m using Mocha for most jobs now. A few improvements have really stood out to me over the years: The ability to export the gmask tracer instead of just the traditional gmask was a big leap, and along with that improvement came the ability to include a roto shape’s keyframe data you create in Mocha. And now the mesh tracker is pretty exciting, albiet a little harder to use than planar tracking data.

For me, if I had to call out one hurdle with Mocha for roto, it would be how Mocha translates its roto spline shape’s points to Flame. And I have to preface this by saying it’s already a miracle that they have developed this tool far enough that you can send data from one program to a completely different program, so I am in awe and just nitpicking here. BUT! If I have a shape with 5 points in Mocha, when I export that to a gmask tracer in Flame, because you’re converting that shape from one program to another, it usually has something like 3x to 6x more points on that shape, which makes it much harder to manipulate. Certainly not a deal breaker for me, but that’s my big hurdle. Otherwise, some of the tracking features take some getting used to as far as how to get the data from Mocha to Flame, but once you know how to do it, you got it!

1 Like

still early stages of using it but doesnt take long to understand the basics. only really used it for planar tracking and does an awesome job on occasions flame cant quite get there. @Grant whats the unlink tracking?

Mikey

It’s here…

Just choose Link to Track ‘None’ and you’ll find that the mask stays still and reads whatever moves through it. Super handy!

Cheers😎

1 Like

Hey all,

This is a great thread! I’ll pass along all comments to the Mocha team and make sure
they join the Logik forum for future feedback/ questions.

Thanks,
Brian
Sapphire Product Manager, Boris FX

5 Likes