Mocha data into Flame - Transfer from Discord

I’m sorry to cross-post, but I think this discussion was too valuable to stay in the transient waters of Discord. I strongly think we need a transfer functionality from the Discord channel to this forum.

1. 12:41 AM*]whysoda:*

question for the group - how do I import tracking data from Mocha into Flame? For clarification, another artist is doing the tracking inside of mocha, and I need to pull that information into flame (edited)

1. @everman5

This guy and his eyebrow is fun. I always love trying on his tricks in flame. The Power of "Horizontal Curve" in Photoshop! - YouTube

[12:52 AM]KuleshovEffect:

That was great, thanks!

1. @whysoda

question for the group - how do I import tracking data from Mocha into Flame? For clarification, another artist is doing the tracking inside of mocha, and I need to pull that information into flame (edited)

[12:54 AM]Jeff Kyle:

Hiya @whysoda . There are a few ways to tackle this. I have a Logik Academy tutorial I’ve been dragging my feet on and haven’t yet released, so I apologize that this info isn’t so readily available. I did do a quick little tutorial a few years back that I can link here that gives you some step by steps, and if you run into any problems you can ask away. I do this all the time because I Love mocha tracking. The first thing you need to determine is whether you want to use the tracking data to “put something in” or if you want to use it to “stabilize”. Two very specific and different pathways.

1. [12:54 AM]Jeff Kyle:

YouTube

Logik Live

LogikFest 2020 - Jeff Kyle - Mocha Tracking in Flame

1. @Jeff Kyle

Hiya @whysoda . There are a few ways to tackle this. I have a Logik Academy tutorial I’ve been dragging my feet on and haven’t yet released, so I apologize that this info isn’t so readily available. I did do a quick little tutorial a few years back that I can link here that gives you some step by steps, and if you run into any problems you can ask away. I do this all the time because I Love mocha tracking. The first thing you need to determine is whether you want to use the tracking data to “put something in” or if you want to use it to “stabilize”. Two very specific and different pathways.

[12:55 AM]whysoda:

amazing, thank you so much for sending this along! This tracking data is for me to “put something in,” as I need to track my still frame cleanup I did in this one specific area of picture

1. [12:57 AM]Jeff Kyle:

Oh yeah Mocha is perfect for that. I’ll just talk through a few little things that come to mind on the subject. You want 2014 Flame stabilizer data. It’s this

1. [12:59 AM]Jeff Kyle:

Second, you want to be sure your Planar Surface is set inside of Mocha because that acts as the corners of your media in Action. You turn it on with the “S Box” next to the perspective grid and that puts the square. Whoevers doing your tracking, be sure they make sure that box encompasses the region you’re tracking

1. [1:05 AM]Jeff Kyle:

And finally, to load it, it’s not pretty but this is the process: 1. Pull out Action 2. Add media 3. Create a MUX Freeze frame on the “key frame” in question 4. Navigate your playhead to that frame in Action 5. On the surface in Action set it from Type: Flat to Bilinear (maybe Perspective depending on what you’re tracking in, but for now let’s stick with Bilinear) 6. Navigate to the Vertices tab and click on the “Tracker” button on the Surface tab (not to be confused with the Tracking tab associated with the Axis) and enter the Surface Tracker 7. Next to the “Return” button and next to the “Save” button, click “Load”, load the data, and exit the surface tracker. 8. Navigate your playhead back to the “key frame” in question and on the right side of the surface options, send the vertices data to the UV channel by clicking on the “To UV Points” button under the Copy Anim area. 9. Still on the “key frame” in question, goto the Animation editor and “Keep” the keyframe for the “uv_track_shape” property. 10. Confirm your track looks good and make any slight adjustments you need by keyframing the Shape of the surface. 11. Hook up whatever you are tracking in. Either a clean frame or screen or other thing. (edited)

1. [1:05 AM]Jeff Kyle:

The video covers this but sometimes it’s better in text. Hopefully I didn’t miss a step

1. [1:16 AM]whysoda:

this is insanely helpful, thank you again for this!!

1. [1:16 AM]Jeff Kyle:

Anytime!

1. @Bernd Hildebrandt

Is it still 23.9fps inside flame bevor putting it into the timeline?

[1:28 AM]johnag:

yes

1. [2:32 AM]randy:

@whysoda if you need anything im still around.

1. [3:04 AM]CoryJohnson:

@whysoda @Jeff Kyle I usually go a slightly different approach for Mocha. I do the track in mocha, then export as Flame Tracer [Shape + Axis]. Back in batch 1) load the track into a side gmask tracer or action. 2) create the action you’re going to comp in 3) copy and paste your tracking axis into that main comp action 4) Parent your insert surface to the tracking axis. 5) use an extended bicubic or bilinear to line up your insert. 6) duplicate the tracking axis, invert, keep 7) Shift drag the inverted tracking axis in between the original tracking axis and the surface axis. The tricky part I found was loading the tracking data into a side gmask tracer or action node. I find there’s some strange things that happen when you “load” the tracer from mocha. Helpful to copy and paste into the action node or gmask tracer you want to work in. Then the axis is just like if you had done a planar or a 1 point track in Flame. The gmask it imports you can use or note, sometimes nice to see to troubleshoot.

NEW

1. [9:27 AM]Bernd Hildebrandt:

To add more ways, you can also set the S-Box on mocha to full frame. (Only when the cleaned up plate is also from the whole frame, even if it’sjust a small logo). That will simplify the process for the beginning as only Step 1,2,5,6 and 7 are needed in flame.

5 Likes

Thanks @Sinan . I’ve thought a lot about this. I kinda sorta unfortunately keep hitting a brick wall when it comes to transferring people’s data to other platforms in an automatic way. I think it’s sadly a per-case basis, since blah blah legal terms blah blah I-signed-up-for-discord-but-not-the-forums blah blah.

I know all the people involved in this super helpful discussion so this is totally fine and and I really appreciate you thinking bout this stuff. So, whilst I don’t know the answer right now, I definitely hear you and agree I wish it was better sometimes.

Thank U GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

Hey guys, I’m getting some weirdness when opening a Mocha-created axis node in Flame that has had some AdjustTrack manipulation. It only happens if I use the AdjustTrack feature. Is this a bug?
Using Flame 2021.1, latest version of Mocha Pro.

I’m getting the same thing as well. I have a mocha track where I used adjust track in mocha and if I export as an axis it gets scaled way up and down. The track works if exporting as stabilizer 2014 allows you to use the data as corner pin, but you know I prefer to have the axis to parent gmasks to. Seems like something BorisFX should look at!