Particles time offset texture per frame

Hi all

Is it possible to offset the texture timing on single particle generator on a per frame basis? So on a given frame the particle is birthed, we can offset the texture frame via an expression ?

More specifically add a time multiplier for which frame of the input texture is displayed, on a given frame of the particle sequence ?

I thought I had done it previously in flame but can’t recall !

Cheers

Paul

No

2 Likes

Ahhhh, this is a looooong time contender on the want-list. I had suggested using a texture tile and assigning consecutive tiles per particle life, years ago on another forum.

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

Yeah I think I fudged it in the past also…

But trying to do a slit scan now using particles, something that works in most particle systems out there…but to hack it in flame at hd would need 1920 tiles !

How long until we get a real particle system ?! I’ve given up even hoping these days !

Hm, slit scan with particles? How may I ask?

I was playing with making a setup which births a single 1 pixel particle, per frame, with a speed of zero…and the emitter moves 1 pixel per frame in space until the entire screen is covered !

So for HD you need a lot of pre run… 2 million frames plus ! so it’s kinda not that tenable anyway, and gets crazy slow, and also action has errors with dealing with the sorting even though there is no overlap.

to make it easy just for proof of concept I was trying it just with 1x1080 scale particles birthing via an emitter with linear x animation curve going from -960 to 959, over 1920 frames.

But if the texture timing could be picked up and offset, you could have per pixel time shifting.

An experiment really !

My take on slit scan was to have a grey scale time-map, use every level of grey on it as a separate matte offset (with a mux node) in time with the value of grey (manually) and then comp them in action. It sort of works with 256 levels of grey. But also is a huge setup…

1 Like

Nice !

Yes these particle hacks at this level, always end up with huge setups !

Have done similar to what you describe for multiple screens as particles etc…

but it’s always so unwieldy and can be done so easily in other particle systems !