Removable drive partition and project

hey all. It seems a bit remiss not to be able to have a stone partition and the project info on a removable drive. So I can hook that up to any machine and load my project - no archiving its just there. (what im hoping is someone will go - but you can do that). For example ive got a super fast NVME portable 8TB drive. ive got all the rushes and audio on that - ive got a project on my flame1 that accesses all of that. then I go to flame 2 and plug in and nothing. it should be able to be part of that removable drive. Then you can retain all the rendered files.

2 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

2 Likes

I think there is a way of doing this… it’s not super clean/convenient though.
I don’t think it can work for any machine, but you could make it work for either one of your 2 flames if that’s your setup.
If you set your projects up using the OpenClip workflow and didn’t cache anything, all of your media could be resolved from either flame on that same drive. It would basically function the same way as a SAN might in a facility. I think you could just mount the drive and call it stonefs6 (or whatever) on both machines, as long as Flame sees it as the same storage with the samae path in both places, I think it should work. I haven’t actually done this, but for argument’s sake let’s say that this method would solve the media end of things.

The real secret sauce here is to be able to access the project itself. For that, I think you’d need to decide which of your two Flames would be the host. It could host all of your projects easily, even if the connection between the 2 of them is only 1Gbe. It only needs the metadata here. There’s probably even a fancy way of using a cloud Flame here where you could host your project and then actually access it from anywhere.

It’s certainly not the convenience that an editor running FCP is accustomed to, but I really think it could work. I might even give this a shot myself this summer. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Launch Flame 2 and then set Flame 1 as the host computer in the Project Launcher and launch the project from Flame 1 and Bob’s your uncle.

2 Likes

That’s not going to solve it really. What @Jonhollis is saying is the ability for a project to essentially be condensed to a file which could live on a portable drive, and be transported around like one might do in the adobe universe.

Take a project home with you kind of approach

2 Likes

They’re in different buildings.

Why can’t we store the projects on the cloud. And the render cache and materials locally?

1 Like

Funny, I thought about this last night. At home I spun up flame on a project at work over the vpn. Sure it was slow, but that was mainly loading all thumbnails. All of the edit data and batches and whatnot came up pretty quick.

If there was a localized copy of the data a-La resolve…

1 Like

It would be great if Flame could attach to an existing partition. So when I have my removable Thunderblade drive with my stone partition on it and I attach it to a new flame machine flame could see that partition and all its projects. Im presuming this isn’t possible?