Screen capture tricks that will blow your mind

For us WIndows users, we got a nice gem a few years back that I’ve been using every day. You can search for this by just typing Print Screen in the Start Menu search field and that will come up with “Use the Print Screen key to launch screen snipping”, which sends you to the control panel and lets you set that as the default behavior for pressing the Print Screen button. After that’s set up, whenever you press it you’ll be able to drag a region on your screen and then just paste that whevever you want.

And the added bonus is if you click on the little pop-up that appears when you take that screenshot, you can mark it up and circle things!

Oh man that’s great one @PVR !!

One I use a lot on two screens, is if you hold command, then Click on a different program, you can do things without making that program focused. Like if you are in text and want to pause a QuickTime. If you hold command while you click the player. It will stop with out you having to command tab back.

1 Like

You can also just hit Shift-Windows-S :grin:

1 Like

recently learned a further trick that makes screengrabs much more user friendly…on a mac, goto Applications/Utilities/Screengrab. This starts up screengrabs with a little menu bar at the bottom of screen, and clicking Options/Other location allows you to select a location to save all those pesky grabs directly into.
No more hundreds of screengrabs cluttering the desktop.

5 Likes

AMAZING. cheers @Lightningad

2 Likes

There is a hot key for that

CMD+SHIFT+5 :+1:

1 Like

yes - i use that shortcut…but only recently realised there is the option to save the grabs in places other than directly to the desktop

It seems dependent on which California landmark you are running. It works on Mojave, but not El Capitan.

2 Likes

Just spent the last hour trying and tinkering with ALL of these! :exploding_head:Vulcan death grip FTW!
Love it!!! Thx so much!

2 Likes