Screen capture tricks that will blow your mind

just found a new mind blower - 30yr+Apple user and i’ve been using Shift/CMD/4 for screengrabs for decades…until a day ago when i realised Shift/CMD/5 gives you a repeatable user defined grab location.

Holy Cow, Batman! Thats gonna make some jobs so much easier!

21 Likes

Also, if you hold space bar, after S/C/4, you can take a picture of a single window.

Another Mac command you might find useful: CNTRL-Eject. This will bring up the Sleep/Shut Down/Restart window - if you then press R, it will restart the computer, S for sleep, Return will Shutdown and ESC will cancel and close the window.

11 Likes

One of my faves is open a mov in QuickTime, stop anywhere and command-c, open preview and command-n gives you that frame which can be saved out as whatever image format.

Handy dandy.

13 Likes

Holy smokes these are all legendary. You guys deserve your own topic.

me likey !!

2 Likes

Impressive…Randy speaks and mountains are moved!

1 Like

I want to know what that hot key combo is :joy:

1 Like

I think its a secret moderator piece of necromancy that extracts a post and gives it new life under a different heading. Dark and mysterious deeds probably involving farmyard poultry and strange chants!

2 Likes

Ctl + Shift + Wrists

I move a lot of these

8 Likes

One cool variant is CTRL-Command-Shift-4,

This will do a marque screen shot directly to the clipboard instead of a file. Useful to insert it into email or slack without the clutter on your desktop.

It’s kind of the vulcan grip of screenshots.

WHOA…it totally worked in this forum!!!

14 Likes

What? I just cleared 417 screenshots off of my desktop. Why did I have 417 screenshots on my desktop? To Slack them.

Thank you!!!’

3 Likes

No fowl. Sub goats.

2 Likes

4 Likes

you can also paste attachments by copying the filename and pasting it straight in.

THAT IS EPIC. so good.

Top fave for screenshots is cmd-shift-4, but then after you start drawing the box hold space and it will let you move the corner you clicked from so you can align it properly :exploding_head:

8 Likes

verry cool

Nice!! thank you Danny!

@andymilkis

My information comes from a very reliable source :smiley:

1 Like

On Mac I like the shortcut Cmd + Alt + C on a folder.
This wil copy the location of that folder as text.
Now you can paste it anywhere.
Might come in handy when you want to send the location of a file or path
in an email of chat or something.

7 Likes