Time Blur in flame?

This tutorial made by Chris Fryer is really interesting. I’m wondering is there any Time blur in Flame ?
That would be amazing. The use of time blur for motion blur solve the issue of motion blur when using distort.

The Motion Blur node should do that. You also need a Motion Analysis node to feed the MB vectors. Set the Motion Blur to “Samples”, the shutter to 0.5 (or whatever–that’s the camera default) and that should yield the same result.

ReelSmartMotionBlur from RE:vision does it too.

There very well could be something i"m missing that the Nuke node is doing that I’m not picking up on, so apologies if this isn’t what you’re looking for.

After I did more research, it is really similar to any vector mb. But the time blur node as the possibility to read in between frame. One of the advantage is that give the options to have a curve motion blur between 2 frames.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate? How does it think it reads in between frames?

a ‘super old school’ trick for this kind of thing is to add an axis as a child of your image. Moving the axis does nothing in terms of dve-ing your content, however if you turn on action’s motion blur you’ll get the same kind of results as if you had animated the layer in that way.

2 Likes

A bit late to this party, I put this on my to do list to watch. Having had a look at the timeblur video it does seem to me this has been in flame for a long time in action as Naveen points out. Other hack in there now include the matchbox camera effects to do other little tricks. What I do a lot is use an action which uses the back layer so I can copy and paste a little setup I think works between other source images in batch.

I tried this, but can’t get it to work.
Maybe I miss a step.

1. add image
  2. reverse parent axis
  3. animates axis
  4. turn on mblur
    5…nothing happens…

I do this frequently. It always works. You might try turning up the shutter on the mo-blur. Sometimes it takes a high number for a small reaction. Also, there is no “reverse” parent. The mo-blur axis should be a child of the same parent axis as the image.

1 Like

Vector math. Subtracting two positions, b from a, will give you a un-normalized vector pointing in the direction of the b position where the length of that vector is it’s magnitude. Multiplying that vector by a certain percentage and adding that result to your a position will translate that position in a straight line towards your b position for that percentage of the distance.

In that way you can sub-sample two positions… just need to know what the value is in your current frame, a and what your next frame will be, b. Sub-sample a range of 30 intervals and there’s some moblur.

This doesn’t exist in flame the way it does in Nuke per-se, but it does have motion vector outputs from action to allow you to mo-blur moving objects. This is handy if you maybe want to post-process a render after action and for which you don’t want to use accumulation.

Simplified explanation but you get the point.

It is and it isn’t. The only analog in flame is action because that’s the only place in flame other than analysis generating vector outputs. Nuke is ad-hocking them out of nodes with transforms—transforms, corner-pins etc in order to create the vectors and its doing it really with little user input. Not only that, but it has the possibly of traversing a sides of comps as well as b so hence the need for a no-time-blur node in Nuke to essentially limit processing to just where you want it.

So there’s really no 1:1 correspondence for that in flame—the closest is completing as much of your comp as possible in action and outputting motion-vectors as you pointed out.

Thanks! I parented the axis to my image, that’s why it was not working.
Now it does. great :slight_smile:

1 Like