Warning will robinson! (and all flamers)

I know - it really freaked me out

1 Like

How about ā€¦ do the audit LOL. So youā€™re not in compliance for whatever reason; youā€™re a Thief, you had your credit card stolen and you forgot to update Autodesk, whatever. Surely Autodesk has the resources to write an algorithm or ML that goes something like this.

if PAID {
Leave alone;
} else {
Print ā€œneed to fix something or your license will timeout in 12 hours
}

Itā€™s not like launching a rocket to the space station and then landing a stage of the rocket like it was a golf cart backing into the last parking space on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

If that was to happen to me during a ship night at 2 am, Iā€™d be on a planeā€¦ in a pandemic. Cooperate needs to check themselves. You miss a ship and it can cost you a chunk of your career. Iā€™m sorry this happened MB.

5 Likes

F**k! That is absolutely not acceptable! Understandably it needs to happen, but with almost everything moving the subscription route, this should be a background process and completely seamless without interfering with the artistā€™s work. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like

absolutely crazy and tone deaf. thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

I might be completely wrong about this, and Iā€™m sure @will.harris could explain this but I donā€™t believe this issue has to do with whether you have a paid license but actually has to do whether it is legal for Autodesk to export the software to where you are using it (e.g. Iran or Cuba). https://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/compliance?_ga=2.111062336.434279218.1607544706-349059225.1606147380

I still think itā€™s ridiculous to disable the software without warning but if Iā€™m right, I can understand whatā€™s going on a little better. But still, whatā€™s the point of having important enterprise software that can unexpectedly shut down for no apparent reason.

1 Like

Letā€™s assume it is location driven. Cool, no problem. That makes this even easier. Ya check in with your license and provide a public IP addressā€¦boomā€¦cool. Block me if Iā€™m in a place you canā€™t do business. If Iā€™m not, I already paid my money. Leave me alone.

Weā€™ve got enough working against us. Pandemic. Working from home. Insane schedules. Insane deliverables.

We donā€™t need our tools to make it harder.

3 Likes

Waited 3 days to get it up running for me in the middle of my project.

2 Likes

OH WOW!!! THATā€™S AWFUL!! Did you know what it was when it happened??

1 Like

Why not conduct the audit via secured email link prior to shutting down the software. When youā€™re logged into your bank they donā€™t freeze your bank account while you confirm your password and maybe select the squares with school buses in them on some crazy ā€œIā€™m not a robotā€ thing. Just another case of engineering not considering the user experience. Come on didnā€™t anyone think how this would play out?

3 Likes

No words for this.
Just feelings.
And theyā€™re not good.

I hope your client is STILL your client.
Absolutely floored.

thats why you have a air-gapped backup machine with all the cracked software on it in case of emergency break glass type situationā€¦

Just kidding (dont do that , and I no nobody that does that) but with s**** like that happening to paying customers I dont even know what to do. imagine rebooting your machine in the middle of a client session, what are you going to do? just give up and order pizza for everyone? wow just wow.