Which version Flame are you running?

Can you tell me what the issue is please? When/where does it happen, for how long?

Happens constantly, (at least for me), whilst I’m working. I work in batch, so can’t comment on it happening in the timeline, but flame will freeze for a few seconds, seems to mainly happen when setting stuff up, sometimes alleviated by hitting esc.
As I said, very annoying and frustrating.

I actually had something similar in 2021 - only in Batch. But only in one project - others ran fine.

I felt the same way when I was reading about it. Doesn’t happen on Mac, and for whatever reason, hasn’t happened on any remote Linux machines I’ve used. (it is now almost certainly going to plauge me as I I have typed this)

Also possible I have a swiss cheese perception and microfreezes just fall through the mental gaps.

1 Like

Oh don’t worry, they’re not micro. At least not the ones I was having. At least 5 seconds, sometimes twice that or more. A reboot sometimes made them less frequent and long. But again, that was only in one project, so I’m not sure it’s related to what Paul was describing.

I haven’t seen them either on Mac or Linux.

Oh, I have. Recently. It’s crazy-making.

Version?

I’ve only seen it on linux, my Mac at home hasn’t experienced it. But it’s happened on two totally different work systems, both remote and in-person.

And “micro freeze” doesn’t really do it justice. In my case it’s relatively long pauses than can be ended by hitting esc or alt tab, at which point every key you’ve hit (or paint stroke, yay!) gets fired off in rapid succession.

I remember this issue when I was staff a few years back. The cause was once we got a large high speed Cine NAS for Nuke and CG to run alongside our very fast and large(at the time) Quantum SAN that when ever the flames where mounted to the CineNas the micro-freezing issue would be there and if I remember it was on both Mac and Linux.
The issue was the constant pinging with the CineNAS and 3D apps(and maybe also Nuke?) was what was causing the micro freezes on flame. So basically the base level way the CineNAS functioned seemed to be incompatible with Flame so we just didn’t mount the Flames or any of the Macs to it. Only Windows machines where mounted to it and I think in the end it became specific for 3D usage.

I’m definitely no engineer so this new issue could be completely unrelated to the above.

So yeah, I’ve personally not experienced any micro freezes on the Mac at home(2021.2.1 release up to latest Beta), or on Linux when working with studios.

2 Likes

2021.1.1 on Linux here, only because I’m so busy and it’s such a ballache to upgrade - way too many jobs on the boil. It’s an inferior version too, I hate it. Lots of freezing. (weird freezing though, it’s unfreezes when you hit a key - I’m very used to it now)
Trouble is I’m freelancing for a post house that’s on 2022 and so I’ve gotta use my separate old Imac and it’s not super stable. I’ve ordered a fully-specced Macbook Pro M1 Max and it can’t come soon enough.

2023 Mac :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2022.0.1 Linux
I’ve been warned by Cinesys Tech’s repeatedly that keeping multiple versions of flame and DKU is not a good thing. Yet I know many of us have more than one. I also have a flavor of 2021 which I can’t check right now, for some of the clients that have yet to upgrade.

1 Like

I have experienced the freeze on Linux while using 2022.0.1 as well as 2022.1

I’d be very warry of Cinesys’s understanding of Flame if that is what they are telling you.

3 Likes

I know,
Every time the subject comes up I cringe.

2022.0.0 Catalina

1 Like

Our shop has been proudly running 2020.3 since 2021! :slight_smile: