2023.1 Linux micro freezes — still?

I think they consider it “fixed” so long as you go Rocky with 2023.+ I don’t see them adding any more resources to older versions. I feel your pain. I am not in a position to go Rocky yet, so I am having to live with them, but yours seem to be considerably worse than mine.

I’ve rolled back to 2021 with a fresh rebuild and the situation is still there, it’s better but it’s still there. It’s maddening. It’s made that bit worse for those who do longform and have an hour long timeline to watch back, it’s just embarrassing with clients in the room in a review.

1 Like

The problem is, it’s being reported as still there in Rocky with 2023…

I’ve yet to see anyone say they have seen them on 2023.1 on Rocky.

“I’ve yet to see anyone say they have seen them on 2023.1 on Rocky.”

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 12.21.15 PM

It’s been reported and discussed with Stephane on Sunday’s Patreon session.

2 Likes

Working on Rocky VIII. Flame 2023.1. No micro freezes as of now

By the way, what do you mean by “micro freezes”?

Gamers machine with a RTX 3090. Some weird stuff with the MimicLink inside Action: the machine becomes very slow and then crashes. I guess this is a MacroFreeze…

For me, I’m working away and everything just stops for about 5-10 seconds. As projects get bigger, the freezes get longer. There is no message such as AUTO saving at the bottom of the screen. I don’t even get a scorpion logo. What I can do is continue to tap on a few buttons and when the freeze is over, it cycles through those taps that I made. They are at random intervals, they occur in various nodes in batch as well as when working on the timeline, or just playing a clip. And they are MADDENING.

4 Likes

+1 exactly these.

The worst part is when showing a client a sequence. Freeze appears, but the audio will continue running and there is no way to stop it until the freeze is over. Had so meany times explaining the client why and they had been more like: “ah so great I pay so much money for this flamesession”.

But have to admit these all are no more ‘micro’ freezes we had in 2022. There it was 3s every 5min. Now it’s 10-20s every 20min.
(± 15min)

1 Like

Hello group!

If you get the issue on 2023 or 2023.1 & Rocky Linux you need to report the issue to Autodesk support ASAP since right now, there is no case for this combo.

1 Like

Please open a case with Autodesk if you are experiencing this. I love and respect you all so don’t forget… if you have enough time to log into a forum and post a comment about something then you have enough time to let Autodesk know something isn’t working.

1 Like

Can we get a poll of anybody who has experienced this on 2023 under Rocky?
As it might persuade my company to do a full upgrade.

Can the person who answered “Yes” tell us more OR better, open a support case?

I’ll definitely ask. I don’t know all the details of the freezing incidents - just told that it’s still happening.

1 Like

Thanks Greg-Paul for following-up. Our Support team is looking forward calls about this issue so we can investigate.

Just as an update:

I installed 2022.3.1 (Centos). Started a new project, and so far I haven’t seen noticeable freezes in this new project. However, when I switch back to an old (and bigger) project, the freezes are just as much in full effect as they were before.

The bigger the project, the bigger the S+W database is. S+W uses ancient DB, huge single file. Performance sucks. Bigger the project, bigger the delays. I’m quite convinced that most freezes are related to S+W backups and other operations. That is why we do 1 project per partition, and I’ve made 6 virutalzed S+W servers to facilitate that. In addition, that makes the flames become dumb compute nodes, so no data is stored locally, and OS upgrades are worry free.

2 Likes

@GPM Are you sure you are not mistaking the micro-freezes with longer auto-saves? Could you try to launch the larger project (maybe a copy of it?) and set all the Auto-Save values to 0 min in Preferences > General to disable them. Once this is done are you still getting your freezes?

It’s def not the auto saves - which yes I’ve seen take a long time now. When it auto saves it shows that in the left hand corner. Freezes, no text.

2 Likes