Flame Micro Freezes - What do people experiencing it have in common?

After reading another thread, I’d be interested to know the following, as I am getting these too.

1. Are you running on Mac or Linux?

2. Do you use a SAN and is it running StorNext?

3. Do you use a NAS that is auto mounted?

Linux.
No.
Yes.

We started doing something recently that has greatly helped mitigate the freezing, but I can’t talk about it until the next major release of Flame.

1 Like

Horror Ghost GIF by Ouija: Origin of Evil

5 Likes

Linux.
No.
Yes.

linux
no
yes.

1 Like

Linux
No
Yes.

Seems to be a pattern here.

I have shoes on when I get them, anyone else wearing shoes?

3 Likes

Linux
No
Yes

I’m in Mac and Linux and I’m not seeing any micro freezes.

No stornext.

Yes multiple NAS.

Linux
No
Yes, I think

Have you tried setting your “Refresh Shared Libraries” to 0 (zero) in flame prefs?, only downside is needing to right-click refresh every time you need something in there but rather than it constantly doing it for you, Ive noticed sometimes that causes flame to “freeze” for a quick second while you’re in the middle of working. Do you notice any info in the bottom left when this freeze happens? Or is this just a remote thing?

Ok thanks.

One more question and then something to try.
Is your framestore on locally mounted/direct attached storage or are you using shared storage such as a SAN to host it?

If you are not constantly using your NAS, can you humour me and hash it out of your /etc/fstab and then reboot and leave the NAS not mounted. I want to see if the microfreezes are happening without the auto mounted NAS. I thought StorNext might be involved but it’s obviously not as I am the only one using it.

My reasoning for this is it feels network related. I’m not experiencing micro freezes on my home system but I am regularly experiencing it on my work system. Major differences between the two setups are I have an internal NVMe drive on my home system and no network drives. At work my framestore resides on a SAN and I have network attached drives. I had to hash out my NAS recently as there was something NAS related totally hanging my system. When I hashed out the auto mount in /etc/fstab I can’t recall experiencing any micro freezes. Could be coincidence. For the first time in a couple of years I’m not frantic at work so don’t really have the opportunity to really test this out myself, hence my asking. I’m not really suggesting it is the auto mount causing it, more just checking if it has something to do with having a mounted network drive.

There also seems to be a lot of people not experiencing the micro freezes (myself included on my home system) so it helps to narrow down what people experiencing it have in common.

1 Like

This is really helpful, thanks for your input.

hey anytime happy to help though I was lying I wear slippers most of the time
and Linux, No, Yes. and I get them alll throughout the software so I don’t think the answer would be as binary as this but that’s just my two cents, or as they also say correlation doesn’t equal causation.

Nope . . . doesn’t work for me.

Bummer. Worth a shot. Thanks for trying.

It seemed to be working on my system at the office but I haven’t been using it enough to know for sure.

I am not experiencing them, but it sort of sounds like an issue we used to have where once a project got over a certain size the Autosave was taking too long to update network mounted projects and would hang flame for like 15 to 30 seconds.

It was weird too, it was like going over a cliff. No problem, no problem, no problem, project hits arbitrary size 15-30 second freeze every autosave.

I have no idea how we resolved it permanently, but we could make it less annoying by setting the Soft Save to 15 minutes.

Linux
No
Yes (GPFS)

Linux
Yes
No

2 Likes

Well it doesn’t seem to be NAS related then, even though since hashing out my NAS automounts I haven’t been experiencing the micro freezes, but I also haven’t been driving Flame that hard the last couple of weeks.