2023.1 Linux micro freezes — still?

Any idea if this is a solution to older systems? A lot of that could have been written in Cuniform. I’m not really even familiar with what strace is or does.

Dunno, sorry.

If needing to run strace at all times when Flame is running, to prevent freezes, then something is seriously wrong with the code, and all new features need to be put on hold until this is fixed. This is the same exact bullshit that happened ~3 years ago when Flame wouldn’t play footage unless strace was running.

1 Like

Just for the record, for me , since 2023 and rocky linux 8.5, in a custom pc, I don’t have microfreezes anymore.

If I’m not mistaken since Greg-Paul no longer has micro-freeze problems we do not have anybody having them on Rocky Linux. True? Anyone?

We still get them often. I still believe it is related to S+W, even thought there is no indicated S+W operations in the bottom status area.

Just as an update, I’ve still been working without any freezes. Don’t forget to turn off tooltips - though I don’t know how much this was a factor.

1 Like

Same with also S+W on the “could be” list. Only happens with projects having a lot of media atm.

1 Like

I never have tool tips turned on, so I don’t think it’s a factor.

Ohh…. Maybe that explains why you leave autokey on. The tooltips would inform you that you’re able to turn it off. Anarchist.

I let the force guide me.

FYI, snippet from Beau at ADSK below. My particular case has been closed since I no longer experience the problem, but they are still investigating.

—-
To answer your query on why, in both the instances of micro-freeze on Rocky that I have investigated, it has been setup of the system that was causing the issues.

I do not recall if the tooltips were helping you before the rebuild. I think we were relying on strace then. Also adjusting the memory management to favor the gui and ease off of BGR may have helped as well. Regardless I am stoked you’ve had smooth sailing so far.

Was having micro freezes with 2022.3 constantly. Started up this morning with strace also running and so far, 2 hours in with a 4k long form project and multiple big batches, no freezes to report.

(Have also turned tool tips off just in case :wink:)

Very disconcerted to report, that as my projects have grown, and as someone here has suggested the sw database has grown — I’m getting little freezes. They don’t seem to be as long as before for sure. But they are frequent and persistent, and seemingly unrelated to any user action or context.

I do not recall this happening in earlier versions of Flame, like before the last half year or so.

This is very, very much no bueno.

Is a culprit to part of these freezes and slowness.

I should clarify that I don’t know if what I am experiencing now is the same as or directly related to the micro freezes from before. With the previous freezes, it would happen in fairly predictable ways, like trying to pull up a node from the bin. These stalls seem random. They don’t last as long (maybe 2-3 seconds), and I’d say they happen maybe once in every 7 minutes or so.
@Slabrie
@fredwarren

Thanks.

1 Like

Maybe it is because I’m working on a big project with plenty of shots, files, renders, versions of all kinds, and timelines, and these micro-freezes are awful and really annoying, taking more than 5 seconds. Linux 2023.

I’d consider upgrading when possible to the latest release (which I’m not on yet - I’m on 2023.1). I was told it might be better. Also turn off tool tips in prefs.

Hello @GPM

Since you are seeing an issue which looks like micro freeze, please open a support ticket ASAP so our team could have a loo at your system.