Broadcast monitor on Mac Studio

Hi. I recently started using a Mac Studio with a second monitor connected to serve as a “Broadcast Monitor”. When running Flame 2024 and the Broadcast Monitor option is active the interface becomes sluggish. Anyone else perceiving this behavior? I tried using it with out the scaling to fit the monitor option but it still feels not good. If I turn off the Broadcast Monitor all becomes smooth as butter. My main monitor goes out the HDMI connector and the second one goes out using one of the thunderbolt connectors.

1 Like

Same issue here, switched using the broadcast with a mini bm adapter and going out whith this it works smooth, using thunderbolt/hdmi will have the fps drop to 1-2

Hey! Do you mean mini Black Magic?

Yes, that’s generally the preferred route (BlackMagic or AJA). Also insures that OS color management doesn’t mess with the results.

Thanks!

Can you point me to such solutions? Maybe a link?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

You can start with the 3G Montior which is the basic solution. I have a UltraStudio 4K mini.

1 Like

Thanks! Looking to it right now

Yeah I have a Broadcast Monitor running from a Blackmagic UlltraStudio box that causes no problems.

However at one point I was wanting to use my second Mac Studio Monitor instead for some reason. As stated above it makes moving around the timeline very laggy, to the point of it basically being unusable. It’s a shame cos it was a convenient setup.

Sometimes on Mac if you change the system setting to not give each display a separate workspace, will change how they work. Could be worth trying.

You were right! Disabling this setting on MacOs solved the problem. Now the timeline scrub is as smooth as with a one monitor setup. Thanks!

4 Likes

Glad that solved it. It’s a trade-off. That means if you have other apps open on the 2nd monitor, the menu will always appear on the 1st monitor instead of the monitor where the app is open. So you may want to toggle this back and forth as needed, which forces you to restart the window manager (log out and log back in), but it may be a fair trade-off.

Hey … Where in systems settings is this option? Don’t see it. Thanks!

Desktop & Dock. Or use the search function inside settings and look for “workspace”

Got it! Thx yo!

This used to, and still very well might be, part of the standard installation instructions for Flame on Mac.

Hi All, great information above. I am making the attempt to run a 3 monitor setup-
2 monitors for my workspace (I like my library on 1 monitor…)
1 Monitor (Nicer Consumer TV) as my broadcast-

When I tried this today, I got the above lag instantly…so I am about to buy the Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K Mini - I’m confused why my Apple M2 Ultra with 76 core is unable to handle this video output though…I thought that these machines could handle up to 8 monitors. Any info appreciated…Its important that I can export/playback 4k video.

I just want to ensure that people have actually found success with this on mac…

I changed the workspace setting inside desktop and dock settings and now have been working for weeks without any issue with my MacStudio (two monitors setup).

1 Like

I do already have the Displays Spaces button de-selected in Mac Settings. My 2 monitor setup is working fine with that.
However, now, when trying to add a 3rd monitor (consumer tv) to be used as the “Broadcast Monitor” Flame lurches to a halt. I have heard that the Black Magic UltraStudio 4K Mini could potentially get this to work. Just wondering if anyone has used this video I/O to achieve this goal?

I have an UltraStudio 4K Mini on my Mac Studio and there is no lag in playback or performance degradation (connected via HDMI to a 55" LG OLED). One caveat is that I only have one wide screen monitor, not two. But that shouldn’t be material in this case.

I think the broadcast monitor via MacOS makes sense with two monitors. With three, I would go the BMD route. But I’ve had BMD reference monitors for many years, so I might be biased towards that type of solution.

Setup:

Dell 49” widescreen, LG 55” behind via UltraStudio, MacStudio

3 Likes