Color Management aces

yes, it could be him, I don’t think I could uninstall OCIO because we use it for after effects to read exr, I’m going to try to disable OCIO in photoshop

1 Like

No I get you! But it might not be that. Here’s a video with someone walking through uses ACES in PS with OCIO. Don’t know if this will help at all though! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dksSrFWxLr4

Yes, this leaves me very intrigued, I imagine it’s not a problem, but flame works with aces 1.1 and resolve exports it to vfx aces 1.3, but I’m struggling to try to understand the problem.

I ran into that a few weeks ago. Bringing in 32bit EXR exports to Photoshop. If you leave them in 32bit it should round-trip without issue. If you have to convert to 16bit to get access to some of the other tools, the important thing is that during the conversion you disable ‘local adaptation’ and switch it to ‘exposure and gamma’. When you do that, the image remains as is (no tone mapping). Then before returning to Flame, convert back to 32bit and save. That resulted in a round trip that was true in terms of color management.

The problem is that Photoshop tries to tone map in the bit depth conversion by default.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 8.52.00 PM

11 Likes

Man, this is good to know!!!

1 Like

I tried to understand the video, it seems to be more focused on 3D files, I’ll watch it calmly

my frame is in 16bt I understand that photoshop forces it to 32bt, so before exporting in photoshop you use hdr toning and export normally to flame, I will try

The other way around. The HDR toning which happens automatically in bit depth conversion was causing the color shifts .

1 Like

But you’re 16-bit float. If PS kicks you out of 32-bit, because it doesn’t do floating point, you’ve gotta do what @allklier is showing above before it tries to tone map your image.

I understand, I thought PS converted my frame from 16 to 32bt because it was frame aces exr

1 Like