DKU install

I have been tasked with upgrading our machines to 2023 from 2022, which I am more than happy to do.
However, one thing I have never done is a DKU upgrade.
How easy is it? anything to be concerned about?

tar -xvf insertDKU here

cd into the new directory

./INSTALL_DKU

Wait 5 minutes.

Restart.

Result.

2 Likes

Is it really that easy?

Yup.

3:00 is where to find DKU

22:28 is DKU install

I honestly believe that administrating a Linux flame on Rocky is easier than on Mac.

3 Likes

Thanks Randy!

Yet again, I agree. Vast majority of “configuration/system” issue here and on other forums are macOS.

1 Like

So I have a question about Linux and running multiple version. On Mac OS. As long as you install them in order (2022.1,2022.2,2023.1 and so on) you should be fine.

How does it work with Linux and the Dku? Is it better to have only one version of flame running on you linux? Or at least only have flame versions that match the Dku? Or can you install multiple versions without a problem

Thanks.

multiple is fine. I do install in order as you mentioned.

1 Like

One more question, how do I check which DKU version I have installed?

Hi @paul_round,

You can confirm the DKU version installed on your workstation by running the following command in a terminal:

cat /etc/DKUversion

Best,
Yann

Thanks Yann, so currently I’m on DKU 16.4.0-1
Can I install 2023 without updating the DKU?

Thanks Randy, just about to do the update now, I’m assuming my Flame 2022 install will be unaffected?

Ok, all worked out ok, except my logik matchbox thumbnails, they’ve all gone a bit squiffy, looks like a video from the eighties thats lost its genlock

And keylight is crashing, can anyone remember what the environment variables are to get sparks to work?

For Flame 2023.3 you want DKU 17.3.0. The main way DKU can affect older Flame versions is that they sometimes include a new NVIDIA driver version, but since you can only have a single GPU version installed at a time, in general I would say you are better off running an older Flame version with a newer GPU version than the other way around.

Also if Flame is connecting to a FiberChannel SAN (StorNext for instance) with an ATTO HBA, you’ll typically want to use:

./INSTALL_DKU --multipath

to install the version of the ATTO driver which supports multipathing (so if a fiber connection goes bad, you typically retain connectivity to all the drives / LUNs).

Note that Sparks support goes away in Flame 2024, it’s only Matchbox and OFX for plugins going forward, so last call for legacy Spark plugins like Keylight, Tinder, Furnace… is 2023.3.

I do remember an environment variable that would limit the number of CPU cores old Foundry plugins would try to use and thus prevent them from crashing on more modern machines, but it’s been a while and unfortunately Google isn’t coming up with anything useful.