Hue Curves Solution?

Hello fellow Logik Forum users!

I’ve spent some time looking around at the default Matchbox Shaders and also the Logik Matchbox Shaders, and can’t seem to find a real solid Hue Curves tool. Before I waltz over to the feature request forum, does anyone know if there’s a good one out there that I’m missing? I’m specifically looking for one that can do Saturation vs Saturation, for reasons I’ll go into below. And if not, are there any color savvy Flame artists on here that would be open to sharing their opinion on how important / unimportant this is?

I know the HSV Curves Matchbox shader is close, and I’ve used that one a handful of times. I know it well enough to know that I think it’s “good” but not “great”. In my experience, its Hue vs Hue (Hue_Shift) is great, but a bit limited by its interface. The Saturation adjustment though (Hue vs Saturation) I think really falls short. For instance, if you apply the HSV Curves Saturation adjustment to a color bars, you’ll find that even if you drop the whole Saturation curve to -1 (as low as it goes), it doesn’t adjust the saturation for all the color, just half of it. In real-world examples, I’ve noticed that sometimes it works great, and other times it is unable to fully select the color I would like to adjust.

This topic in general stems from a scenario I’ve run into a few times now-- managing highly saturated neon colors in a color grade. A year ago I created this feature request (shameless self-promotion) which is one solution that takes a page out of Baselight’s book with a tool they call Gamut Compression. It does something very similar to a Saturation vs Saturation hue curve, but only for the most extremely saturated values. It was created to handle scenarios involving bright color sources’ raw RGB data creating low, negative, or clipped values for certain channels and, in turn, these values creating bad artifacts when color management is applied during the color grading process.

At the end of the day, the beauty of color grading is that there are almost always solutions to get the job done with or without the very specific tools. The only thing to consider is how pleasant or simple it is to get where you need to go. If we don’t have a Saturation vs Saturation tool or a Compress Gamut tool, we can always get there with some creative masking and keying; make use of the tone controls’ blacks, whites, and everything in between; or just work the grade until it the problem is solved. But with incredible and unique features like machine learning semantic keyers (aka the hard stuff) already implemented, features like the one discussed here (and others I’d be happy to go into detail about elsewhere) really feel like they’re missing to me.

Happy to hear what others think about this! Thanks for reading.

This is some thing that I brought up on the Facebook group (I asked if there is something like Resolve’s Color Compressor) and someone
(Finn, I think (who isn’t on this board yet??) pointed to a much longer thread about it from a couple years ago. Long story, short: there isn’t a simple tool. There are workarounds for various situations. For what you’re describing, Color Warper might be all you need. But I’d check out the Facebook posts, search for Color Compressor.

1 Like

Yeah @davejahns’ Logik Live showed the Resolve Color Compressor…shoot…I think thats what its called in Resolve. It looks like sorcery!

I’ll definitely take a good look at the Color Warper to wrap my head around how it can be used as a quasi Saturation vs Saturation solution, but I’m mostly talking about working within the Effects tab grading environment as opposed to batch proper. Jumping into batch I’m looking for solutions that exist inside the Image node instead of in Batch, and I don’t think you can get the Color Warper into the Image node since it’s a regular Batch node, not a Matchbox shader…at least I think that’s the case!

As to the color compressor, I looked a little more about how it works and I agree with Randy - sorcery indeed! But I’d be more than happy for a simple Saturation vs Saturation solution for starters, and then we can wrap our heads around something more fancy down the line :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m totally with you on having this in Matchbox form to use in the Effects tab for grading.

1 Like

MD_curves

2 Likes

Peter. This is exactly why I posted here. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this! I can’t wait to test it out for real!!! I scrolled through so many Matchbox shaders, and for some reason I missed this one.

And sidenote- where is that wonderful description? I assume this is some website that have descriptions for all of the md_ shaders?

1 Like

Please contact Jack Horrocks regarding licensing

1 Like

Wait…so Jack is taking over the Postman shaders?

Sadly Mark died in a traffic accident last year.

Jack is helping arrange things

1 Like

I knew of the tragic news, but glad Jack can move the shaders along. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I just noticed, there is also Ivar’s crok_sat_vs_sat