I've been using flame for decades and I still don't know

Doing an overwrite edit into a sequence with multiple tracks and versions… “Error - Please patch the track and try again”

I give it a quick flick and now it works… but I have no comprehension of this concept/mechanism/function.

1 Like

Yeah the three way editing has esacped my grasp all these years :disappointed:

What are these yellow arrows doing :thinking:
yellowArrows

What happens when my V1.1 is green or not green?

If on my Record sequence the track number is not green, I have to go to the Source sequence and flick the track number to the left of the eyeball icon until it clicks over and become red.

Yellow arrows I use once in a while when I want to extract/delete a segment in my edit and want all other tracks to ripple through as well, so things will keep in sync.

2 Likes

I have to agree. I know virtually nothing about what the yellow arrows do or why there are multiple boxes with version/layer and why it matters if they are green or not. I just discovered you can actually drag and drop those to change them.

1 Like

Yellow arrows mean if you have Ripple on it will affect those layers as well.

4 Likes

It’s track patching!

When you do insert/overwrite edits, the tracks of the source clip are on the left, and the tracks of your sequence are on the right. You drag the source track boxes up and down to ‘patch’ them to the destination track; when you click them and turn them green, that means the track is enabled and will be acted upon when you perform the edit.

Say I have a source clip with 1 video track (V1), 2 mono audio tracks (A1 and A2), and 2 stereo tracks (A3 and A4) Consider this:

In my sequence with the source clip loaded in the source monitor (IE the green tab, LeSource Clip), if you look at the source track boxes in the left column, looking at the green (enabled) ones I am set to make an edit where V1 of the source clip will go to V2 of my sequence, A1 and A2 of the source will go onto A2 and A3 of my sequence, and A4.L/R will go to A4.L/R of my sequence. You’ll see A3.L/R of my source is patched to track A1.L/R of my sequence, but that track isn’t enabled (not green) and so no edit will happen on that track. The last stereo track A5 of the sequence has nothing patched to it (there are no more stereo tracks in the source) so no edit will happen on that track either.

After performing an Overwrite edit, the result is:

with the newly edited clips in the sequence selected in yellow so you can see they correspond with the green boxes showing what tracks were enabled for edit.

The yellow arrows are the Sync Lock buttons. Undoing the Overwrite edit and starting over with my first screenshot, with all the yellow arrows turned off if I instead do an Insert edit, the result would look almost the same except a cut would be made on A2 and A3 and the existing audio would be pushed down in time, making it go out of sync with the video on V1 which didn’t get pushed down because V1 wasn’t enabled for edit. However if I turned the yellow arrows on for all tracks, doing the same insert edit would operate on every track and create a hole in the other tracks including V1, A1 and A5 which aren’t even enabled for edit. But everything would remain in sync. Which is why those arrows are called Sync Lock buttons :smiley:

This would all better shown in video, but hopefully this helps.

5 Likes

I’m on 2024. I think this feature was released on 2023. You are quite a few versions behind.

2 Likes

If it’s green, when you do an edit using hotkeys, that’s where the media goes - see track patching comment @PlaceYourBetts

Also the little yellow arrows are very useful when doing cutdowns - synch up titles and picture with ripple and trim.

1 Like

I have yet to read all about track patching… but just came across another… Why does Match not do anything unless you at least have Use Sequence Info ticked. (i want to be able to match out without segment connections)