P3D65/Rec2020 for HDR

I am going to go mental with this.

So bascially as monitors cant do Rec2020 Netflix says we should calibrate to P3D65.
Dolby Says we can either do Rec2020(P3Limited) OR P3D65
Amazon wants only Rec2020(P3Limited)

Frame.IO says they accept both, but they from my testing seem to change metadata to P3D65 regardless of what your files are tagged as (I flagged it with frameIO as a bug…)

Then the question of which YcBcR matrix to use for P3D65 ProRes renders, flame auto encode writes “Rec709”, frameIO says that for P3 that is what I need to set it to, there is no P3 option, I guess Rec709 is closer to P3 than 2020?

Then the best part: shiny new macBook Pro M1 max Pro extreme , with XDR screens have a P3D65 reference mode , cool… but I found that in reference mode all “HDR10” files are beign interpreted as Rec2020 they just ignore the P3D65 metadata compeltely.

even on a external HDR monitor that doesnt have reference mode when used with a Macbook M1max , on a mac pro without XDR monitor but external HDR monitor via usb-c that is not happening … so crazy inconsistent.

ugh. How do you make dailies for this stuff? like just WIP renders? you cant… nice!

(all the P3D65/Rec2020 go with PQ/St-2084 of course, i left it out of the text so it doesnt look crazy)

Confused Britney Spears GIF

2 Likes

Hey @finnjaeger, I am resurrecting your HDR rant (which sounds painful, I’m sorry) to pick your brain on your workflow for mastering in HDR for the 'Flix. I’ve been doing content for them for quite some time now, albeit only ever SDR. My time has now come…and I’d love to not have to burn my hand on the stove, so to speak, if someone else has life lessons they’d be willing to share. Let me know!

This rant reminds me of my excitement in 2003 over the move from SD to HD. I was happy that there would only be one resolution (1920x1080) and one framerate (24p).

(pause for laughter)

I’m not often a fan of authoritarian systems, but holy hell does this sort of stuff make me wish there was just a single standard.

2 Likes

i laughed out loud when i read this. yep.

2 Likes

Standards are great.
That’s why we have so many of them.

3 Likes

Feel free to reach out. I’ve done quite a few.

1 Like
1 Like

I dont have solutions for you :smiley: its just a huge mess.

1 Like

I’m frightened…

DMing you!

1 Like

yea adam is probably the best one you can talk to about this.

For deliveries to the red blockbuster its lucklily all writen in very good technical language.

3 Likes

It’s even easier now there’s no nam’s and gam’s, also Netflix are so much better then the rest of the streamers with turning around QC’s. Once you’ve done one you’ll wonder why you were concerned

3 Likes