Renee Tymn's "Object Obliterator

This is the same as how I do light wraps. Never thought to use it for clean up. Nice tip. Thanks.

1 Like

Never knew this technique had a name. Years ago I learned it from a guy named Lou who called it the “Lou hole” because he learned it from another guy named Lou.

Nowadays I’m lazy and just use pixel spread. Would definitely second that its the best way to do lightwrap though.

3 Likes

Where is the video showing the obliterator?

1 Like

I think it was part of the “car show” Episode of logik live

Sometimes its also just called “Zap-it!”

1 Like

Thanks! Any idea about where it is in the hour presentation?

1 Like

16:30 she talks about the General idea, not with this exact node setup, though

Kewl. It seems this does the same thing as s_maskblur or K_BlurMask, right? It takes a fill defined by a matte, and only blurs the pixels that are within that matte – it doesn’t bring in colors from outside the mask/shape. Or am I missing something else here? It’s a terrific method.

It’s actually in the NAB show, about 19 minutes…one of my dozens of logic live bookmarks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got it. Looks like the biggest benefit of this over the Sapphire & matchbox options is that you could have more options for the type of blur you’re performing, but it’s still only pulling in the desired pixels for the blur area - not from outside. Great option!

I use the infill bur matchbox nowadays, that one seems to do kinda the same.
Great to know the techniques behind the scene :slight_smile:

My setup is also in the Logik Portal :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty cool that this technique is getting some recognition! I use this all the time. I call it the Mult-Hole (I use an invert of the matte mult’d over the original plate to create the black ‘hole’, thus ‘Mult-Hole’) because the person who taught it to me didn’t like me calling it the Noah Hole for obvious reasons. Then I taught it to my friend Rob Ufer and he christened it the Lou Hole, and if you know me then you know why that stuck. I like to stick a Pixel spread using a modified version of the matte at the very beginning of the fill branch to help the final blurs lighting consistent with the original area. One thing I usually add to the end of this setup is a texture pass back over the top using the blur-subtract-add method, then I’ll ‘front source’ clean texture back over the top of the area with a 2d transform node. One other cool trick I’ve learned with this that I haven’t seen mentioned here: Since the fill is blurred, if objects pass over the area its super easy to paint them out on the fill side. I use this all the time for quick tracking marker removal especially when I need to preserve the ‘glossy’ feeling a certain company loves, and if a finger passes over the area for a few frames i can just drag-paint it out quickly without worrying about boiling or popping.

9 Likes

Hi what is the cc Punch_it_out in this setup

Color Correct to black the object to be removed.

1 Like

I have a video demo here if this helps https://youtu.be/6KcH7ZDANFQ

2 Likes

Thanks @digitalbanshee
Ill check out the video

1 Like

Happy to hop on a screen share in a few hours from now if that helps :sunglasses: let me know how it goes!

1 Like

In essence, you’re premultiplying everything you don’t want to remove. So plugging your front into a comp node, nothing in the back input and the negative of the matte you have of what you want to remove (the same matte you’d plug into the matte input of the blur node) into the matte input of that comp node will give you the same result, unless I’m mistaken.

1 Like

Hi Renee, sorry for the time differences.
this link is loading something else.
https://youtu.be/6KcH7ZDANFQ

Would it be possible for the screen share?

I have uploaded a sample of the hair i need to remove and i am trying to use the setup in this uploaded image

I still cant get it… :upside_down_face:

This is my setup
And this is the result im getting

Maybe im doing something wrong