Resolution vs costs

Do you offer the client a discount on larger deals if they are willing to downscale the rushes to a more reasonable resolution?

Most my working life ive been doing 2K and then for the longest time 3.2K maybe some OpenGate alexa sprinkled inbetween.

Nowadays with the alexa LF and alexa35 the resolutions are hitting 4.5/4.6K all day long.

Its a pretty large factor on overall hard costs for a project.

→ storage size and speed
→ workstation performance (can work in proxy mode OK, but still…)
→ renderfarm size/performance.

Like everything will be a factor slower doing work on 4.5 vs 3.2K, thats just how it is. One can argue that pcs have gotten more powerfull as well and thats very true, i still think about knocking X percent off the total if lower res can be agreed on.

What do you think?

maybe i am just spoiled for living in a alexa dominated environment :rofl:

1 Like

As I said on a previous thread, for finish we won’t go above 4.5k for most cleanup, 2d comp, etc.

When it comes to 3d, if the client wants a 4k deliverable it’s a cost discussion every time and the bids reflect that.

1 Like

I think it should be the other way round, you want a higher resolution then you pay a bit more :wink:

1 Like

Agree. We always state that we’re working towards a HD delivery working at 2K unless otherwise agreed. When that’s the case, then one charges more for 4K for all the reasons you’ve stated @finnjaeger.

2 Likes

Yea so for CG i always make it a issue right from the beginning but i really have to talk yo producers to only include a maximum resolution in the bids.

Its just not common here at all to do this, as it usually wasnt a problem in alexa-land but it really has to become one

2 Likes

I do all my work at camera rez and request that from the colour companies. The only thing I scale down is 8k, although I still request full rez from colour. That said, I only do commercials and most footage comes to me in the 4.5-5.5k range. I rarely do any cgi. There is no discount for keeping it small. Unless it’s 8k red, I don’t even think about it.

2 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is resolution and bit-depth hard costs. I normally deliver 12-bit, and my file sharing service (Digital Pigeon) plan has always been fine for that. Recent job was 16-bit incoming and outgoing, and I was hit with a several hundred dollar storage surcharge that month. Obviously I’ll use a higher plan for those things from now on.

2 Likes

Good point. I usually stick with 10 bit unless I’m pulling mattes from greenscreen raw footage or doing colour.

2 Likes

I always use dwaa nowadays for 16b float exr compression , its about the size of a prores at the default level of 45 and i use 150 compression for previews sinilar to jpeg or 422LT.

so not a huge difference espeically since i always write plates as 16b float anyhow

Basically every project I work on is 4K or UHD. However, we will negotiate what resolution we will work on VFX on. And if presented with a 6K or 8K camera we wouldn’t work in full res, we’d debayer into the most appropriate size for the finishing resolution.

Unfortunately there are a lot of DOPs that believe bigger resolution will lead to a better result which, of course, is not the case.

4 Likes

DPs know everything about everything everywhere all at once… :melting_face:

4 Likes

At least that’s what they exude.

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on editors…

If you’re an editor reading this and you know me then I don’t mean you ok?! Your input is invaluable

2 Likes

hahah

proceeds to enter a scale of 1.24 on every single segment because using a proper scale mode is way too difficult,

#justeditorthings

1 Like