SynthEyes Export script

For anyone interested/trying to use this script on Apple Silicon there’s a little work around that has to be done to get it to work. Currently SynthEyes will immediately crash when being launched from Flame due to a conflict between Flame running on Rosetta and SynthEyes not. Running these commands in the Mac terminal provied by Russ Andersson will allow it to work properly:

cd /Applications/SynthEyes/SynthEyes.app/Contents/MacOS
lipo -remove x86_64 SynthEyes -output SynthEyes_stripped
mv SynthEyes SynthEyes_original
mv SynthEyes_stripped SynthEyes

Some commands may need to be run as sudo. This only needs to be done once.

Mike

5 Likes

@kirk

1 Like

This is relevant to my interests, however, JPG sequences do not have timecode so the INCREDIBLY handy new Syntheyes feature where it slips your track when you change to a different shot timing probably won’t work as well.

One of several reasons I’ve started sending PIZ EXRs to Syntheyes.

Now, if the script had an option for file type…

2 Likes

I may be mistaken but I was under the impression that Syntheyes did have a manual slip feature? But you are speaking of a more magical one based on clip metadata aren’t ya?

1 Like

I am indeed.

1 Like

Wondering out loud if timecode as file name would work for this……

Just saw this from Syntheyes developer Russ:

Starting SynthEyes from Flame Python on Apple Macs

TLDR, if you’re running flame on Apple Silicon and try to launch Syntheyes via python, it will crash unless you delete the 64bit version of Syntheyes.

2 Likes

Just dropped a new updated version on the Portal with the ability to select a export preset. I also added the ability to export to SynthEyes from a clip in batch.

8 Likes

im stranger GIF

@kirk

2 Likes

Thank you Mike V!!!

Excellent! Thank you!

Amazing MikeV thank you!

1 Like

Sir @MikeV , how does one set this up for a Linux install?

I looked through the syntheyes_export.py and found a note that Linux users need to manually copy a sylevel.py folder but there does not appear to be a file with that name at…

/opt/Autodesk/python/FLAME_VERSION/lib/python3.7/site-packages

Thoughts?

So a couple of things. If you’re using the latest version of the script(v2.8) which only works with python 3, you don’t need to worry about that sylevel.py file. There was a bug in the original sylevel.py file that came with SynthEyes which I fixed and included with earlier versions of the script. But this was only for python 2.7 that was used pre Flame 2022. Russ fixed that bug for python 3 so that file is no longer needed.

The only file that needs to get copied for the script to work is the SyPy3 folder which comes with SynthEyes. That folder needs to get copied into /opt/Autodesk/python/FLAME_VERSION/lib/python3.x/site-packages. BUT the script should take care of this for you. The first time you run the script in a version of Flame that the script hasn’t been run in before it will prompt you for the system password to copy the SyPy3 folder. I only have a Mac at home to test this on so I’m not 100% sure this works in Linux. The path to SyPy3 might be different. If it doesn’t work let me know and I can try to fix it. Otherwise you can just manually copy that folder, refresh the python hooks, and then the script should work.

Mike

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks. Will give it a go. If you ever need a Linux machine to test, I have one you can NoMachine into. That offer stands forever.

:pizza: :fire: :raised_hands:

Okay yeah so that worked. I do get an error message that SynthEys isn’t installed, but the export to custom path does pop up, I export, and SynthEyes does in fact load.

version 2.8, Rocky Linux, SyntheEyes Pro 2204. I can definitely offer TeamViewer or equivalent if you ever need access sometime. The good news is it works! Yay!! Thank you!!

1 Like

Hey @MikeV :slight_smile:
I’m having an issue with the script on Flame 2024.

It’s the script version 2.9 running on m1 studio ultra

Is it possible to make it work again for future versions? I just did a basic script installation from the Logik portal, maybe I missed a step

Hey @Jerem

I just updated the SynthEyes script on the Portal. It should work with 2024 now. Give it a try whenever you get a chance and let me know how it goes.

Mike

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the update @MikeV :raised_hands:

Just having issue with the SyPY installation.

After selecting Syntheyes export from the plate, It’s looping this windows, asking again and again for password and not going to the next step :slight_smile:

What OS are you on?

1 Like