Today I learned…

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. When you move the Centre axis you are moving the rotation/scaling pivot. How can the rotation/scaling not be affected by this?

Ask Quantel and the foundry :slight_smile:
I think it’s an offset calculation similar to the axis-autoscale for z offsets in action maybe? Super useful.

1 Like

I’m guessing by the same logic that the edit box in the gmask tracer performs it’s “move pivot and scale/rot/shear magic.” Not sitting in front of a machine right now but that does by and large what the request is.

Or?

I think that’s based on the current frame only as it’s baked into the shape keyframe. Same idea but it would affect all axis transforms and animation. Maybe another hotkey to move an axis in this way?

The difference is that the GMask pivot will play a role in the next modification you will manually perform. The Axis centre influences the existing data.

1 Like

I misunderstood the ask. I thought the request was a single transform based on a user definable pivot… essentially a transform matrix for the object and pivot as a one time deal.

1 Like

This makes me curious. Because wouldn’t that just totally invalidate the purpose and meaning of a center/ pivot point? Because it’s no longer scaling and rotating on that pivot point- it’s just changing the gui position but not effecting the pivot of the rotation or scaling? Is there a specific use case where it’s an advantage? I might just be misunderstanding this…

2 Likes

you can split up everything into different axis nodes. An axis in between then would work like an offset or some in front would change the pivot’s position without changing its parameters behind.

3 Likes

That’s what I do as well.

This may be an uniformed take I’m making, but in this case, could you use a diffuse map for that? I’ve never actually tried it, I’ve generally just used a couple of axes to stack the transforms I want… or used a 2d transform with a custom resolution and moved it before it even got into the action.

2 Likes

This also works when you add a gmask link in action. Just continue holding down space-g (skf) and draw the link. So many times I would forget to switch back to the move mode.

1 Like

To press shift if i want to paint in a locked direction.

Come to think of it now i remember doing that in smoke about 10 years ago!

I swear the old timers is starting to kick in.

4 Likes

Might be worth telling you that you can also hold Alt down to rotate image in the Paint node, paint your strokes, and then double click Alt to reset back to normal.

13 Likes

Not Flame specific, but found a de-flicker filter inside of Neat Video. It worked great! I need to watch Logik Live Ep 8 again for more Easter eggs.

8 Likes

Does this work with Batch Paint? I know this works on the desktop module but I have never been able to get it to work in Batch.

Yes it does. Shift locks the movement to an axis in many different places, including while manipulating a vertex/point in a GMask, Animation Curve, etc

6 Likes

Today I learned that you can Option + Hover (on Mac) over a path of a write node to quickly check the complete path.

2 Likes

Today I learned that you can access the layers in a PSD file in batch, by hovering over and clicking shift-C (collapse), like you do for action and gmask tracer nodes.

6 Likes

It works very well.

1 Like

Be careful. It is a bit sticky compared to desktop. I find I have to move a few times in a direction before the straight line sticks.

1 Like