Today I learned…

Do you all know about being able to make your own paint brushes? One of my favourite tricks. Just made a rock brush today to paint out some stuff. Shame it’s only 8 bit but it gets you out of a hole on occasion.

2 Likes

Do tell!

Not in front of computer but……

So make a matte of the shape you want. Take it into desktop paint. Double click a brush. Duplicate it. Make new or something. A little menu should pop up. Grab the shape you’ve made. Update the brush and save as userbrush, naming it whatever you want.

Then you can load into batch paint by either restarting flame or going into node prefs of batch paint and load brush.

Your user brush will be save with the setup do others can use it in your setup too without you having to push it over to their user prefs.

Hopefully that makes sense.

1 Like

You can access the layers when it is a multilayer clip on the timeline as well.

2 Likes

Made a quick video in case it helps - the resize isn’t necessary but I find it helps to put it on a square canvas since that’s how it’s sampled in paint.

Flame - Make Paintbrush

Privacy fixed. Also acknowledgement goes to Mike Seymour who showed this on fxguide many years ago.

13 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to do that, @johnt

1 Like

Wiping the canvas in paint is considered just another brush stroke. Delete the brush stroke and the canvas comes back.

3 Likes

Today I learned that the right control key is independent of the left control key, opening up many more keyboard shortcuts.

ie left-ctl-a is different to right-clt-a

7 Likes

If you use smoke keys, right-ctl is mark out, so if you create a hotkey using right control it will always place an out mark on your timeline every time you use it.

1 Like

The first thing i do when creating a new user is change the in out marks to the I. O. keys.

2 Likes

Hopefully this’ll be useful to someone. If you need a quick and easy straight line grab a text node and using the default discreet font hold down the underscore key and bam there’s your line. Holding down hyphen will give you a dotted line.

1 Like

This guy Chyrons!

2 Likes

To add to this, I use the edge of the monitor or bottom of the viewer. It’s a quick way to reference.

Ahh, back when FHA (full height anamorphic) was a thing. I would regularly need to measure the height and width of a circle using a piece of paper on my monitor.

3 Likes

To add to this if you type the dashes or dots on a 3d path you can animate them so can get some good 3d streak action.

It’s not a Flame topic but I bet all got that issue before.

I was today years old to learn, that you can simple export Photoshop Artboards into own PSD’s files to import them into Flame later. (Still makes Artboards one of a hell of invention)

1 Like

I keep forgetting that Photoshop now has artboards. That’s relatively new (a few years). It’s a concept that has always existed in Adobe Illustrator, and at some point jumped over.

1 Like

What is this witchcraft and how do you use it?

Today I learned that if you use “duplicate connected segment” and then lock the layer you duplicated from, you can actually unlink the new shots on the new layer without unlinking the original layer.

6 Likes

Today I learned that the colour of segments is connected between your edits and the sources sequence UNTIL you create a shots sequence. After that segment colour changes in your edits suddenly don’t affect the sources sequence anymore but affect the shots sequence instead. I have no idea why.

2 Likes