FFMPEG Prores output

I am playing around with FFMPEG export options, and I can’t seem to make my Prores 422hq exported via FFMPEG match color exactly when comparing it to the flame export. I’m wondering if someone has achieved this and if they wouldn’t mind sharing their ffmpeg command?

If you’re talking about Rec709, there might be something helpful here:

This works for Rec709 mp4’s, but I think it should work for ProRes422hq’s. The latest version of the Mp4 Gui is in the Logik Portal.

ChatGPT is your friend here:

To create a ProRes QuickTime video in Rec.709 color space using FFmpeg, you’ll need to use specific command-line options. Here’s a general command structure that you can use:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709 output.mov

Here’s what each part of the command does:

1. ffmpeg: This is the basic command to run FFmpeg.
  2. -i input.mp4: Replace input.mp4 with the path and filename of your input video.
  3. -c:v prores_ks: This specifies the codec to use, which in this case is ProRes. The prores_ks encoder is typically recommended for its options and quality.
  4. -profile:v 3: This sets the ProRes profile. Profiles are 0 (Proxy), 1 (LT), 2 (Standard), and 3 (HQ). For high quality, use 3.
  5. -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709: These options ensure that the video uses the Rec.709 color space, which includes setting the color primaries, transfer characteristics, and color space to bt709.
  6. output.mov: This is your output file. The .mov extension is used for QuickTime movies.

This command will convert your video to a ProRes QuickTime file in the Rec.709 color space. Ensure that you have the latest version of FFmpeg installed to access all these features. Also, adjust the command according to your specific requirements, such as resolution, bitrate, etc., if needed.

1 Like

This is super helpful john, thank you. I think your “-vf” is what made the difference, my prores now matches!

1 Like

Nice! It took me a while to get that right. Glad it’s working for you now too.

Also take a look at this link

Hey John, this is working great. I was wondering if you have tried to export a timeline with more than just stereo audio. I am struggling to get this to work. Any thoughts?

One consideration, take it with a grain of salt.

In the older days when not as many apps supported ProRes (these days Resolve on Win is the lone outlier), there were many hacks on how to make ProRes renders. There was a distinction between official and unofficial implementations. And there were said to be occasional problems with unofficial implementations if you had to pass QC.

I believe ffmpeg is one of those unofficial ones. But it may be totally fine these days. Just good to keep somewhere in the ocrner of your memory depending on circumstances.

1 Like

Good memory! This is still true since FFMPEG does not use Apple ProRes libraries. Use it at your own risk.

No, sorry. I only ever needed to use 2 channels out for web reviews.